+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Quote Originally Posted by jaczal View Post
    300 LED Strip, 150 per page. Two 170mm on 90mm screens. Yes, the basic advantage is simplicity of design lighting panel and requires no heat sinks.
    jaczal can you please post a pic of those LED strips? I have seen some strips at the local Hard Ware store and was wondering if they are the same and can be used...the ones I saw need no sink and come in a long strip that can be cut to length and powered up by souldering powr cable to two spots...

I believe he has 3528 ledstrips, there are also 5050 ledstrips.
    They can be powered by any 12V walltransformer (if the wattage is sufficient off course).
    As far as I know there are 2 version of these strips, 60 leds per meter or 120 leds per meter and they can always be cut per 3 leds (so either 5cm length or 2,5cm length).

Some specs I've found on a 120 leds per meter strip:
    Color temp: 2400-2700K
    Flux: 800 lumens per meter
    Power: 9,6W per meter

I think these leds would do a great job, because instead of lets say 9 1W leds I could have 120 0,08W leds, they loose lumens wise but beat the hell out of hp leds if you look at spread and if they are placed as close as possible to the screen they should be good. The disadvantage is that they don't come in the exact wavelengths we would use with hp leds...

Jb

Ps. here is a pic of a small fixture I tried on a 1g tank.

Those are 3528 leds and 60 leds per meter.

Quote Originally Posted by jbowser View Post
    I believe he has 3528 ledstrips, there are also 5050 ledstrips.
    They can be powered by any 12V walltransformer (if the wattage is sufficient off course).
    As far as I know there are 2 version of these strips, 60 leds per meter or 120 leds per meter and they can always be cut per 3 leds (so either 5cm length or 2,5cm length).

Some specs I've found on a 120 leds per meter strip:
    Color temp: 2400-2700K
    Flux: 800 lumens per meter
    Power: 9,6W per meter

I think these leds would do a great job, because instead of lets say 9 1W leds I could have 120 0,08W leds, they loose lumens wise but beat the hell out of hp leds if you look at spread and if they are placed as close as possible to the screen they should be good. The disadvantage is that they don't come in the exact wavelengths we would use with hp leds...

Jb

I think that these are the leds they have altho havent checked the specs yet...will do so during the week...and will try to take some pictures

Is the new UAS more efficient than the old design or just easier to build Is there any reason to tear apart my SM100s and convert them?

Quote Originally Posted by thatgrimguy View Post
    Is the new UAS more efficient than the old design or just easier to build Is there any reason to tear apart my SM100s and convert them?
    This seems to be very much in testing mode still. I wouldn't rip down your existing one....if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by mess7777 View Post
    This seems to be very much in testing mode still. I wouldn't rip down your existing one....if it ain't broke don't fix it!
    That's what I figured. Just wanted to hear someone else say it too!

Quote Originally Posted by thatgrimguy View Post
    Hello Grim,
    Its nice to see you over here. As mentioned there is still testing going on still for this design. I would keep your SM100 intact for now. You could DIY a test unit on a different tank if you have one.
    Looks like Master Yoda should have his finished up pretty soon. I think he is doing the waterfall design.
    Kerry.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Hello Grim,
    Its nice to see you over here. As mentioned there is still testing going on still for this design. I would keep your SM100 intact for now. You could DIY a test unit on a different tank if you have one.
    Looks like Master Yoda should have his finished up pretty soon. I think he is doing the waterfall design.
    Kerry.
    Kerry!

I figured with it all in and working it wouldn't make sense to swap. I do need to replumb mine though. I'm not getting nearly enough flow to it and the micro bubbles in the tank are driving me mad. Time for a new plumbing scheme. But, I figured if I was going to do all that, it may make sense to wait and see the new design.

Once a good way to make this look good in DT is established, I'll add one to the 150g I have at my business that is sump less.

Administrator
    Overall I'd say to consider upflows and waterfalls chemically the same. Later on we can see if the bubble/carbon delivery of the upflows really do fix the limiting carbon issue.

Banned
    So by that are you saying that the bubbles might reduce the scrubber's tendency to suck up bicarbonate when CO2 is lacking, since it is getting CO2 from the bubbles? I dose Alk like crazy and it is disproportionate to Cal so I know it's the scrubber. I think it was Ace or Kerry that got better growth just by putting a fan on the screen so it seems that blowing air into the slot tube on the waterfall scrubber would reduce bicarbonate uptake as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information