+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Quote Originally Posted by jacob.morgan78 View Post
    First, I've never had an algae scrubber of any type and have a one year old "typical" reef tank. I plan to keep my skimmer running at first but have it on a timer to only run during a certain time of day. I would eventually phase it out hopefully. I also have the typical reactors: GFO, GAC. I would phase out GFO but keep running carbon more than likely. I currently have a stand alone 10 gallon refugium with some LR, chaeto, and gracilaria... no sand. It's fed with a small MJ style pump and drains to my sump into the return section, skipping the skimmer. The UAS would go into the stand alone refugium. At first, what time a day do you think would be best to schedule my skimmer to be on? and for how long?

Now to my plan for the UAS. I'm trying to decide between two ideas. First, I could just use the airstone and tie the screen to it very similar to Scott's pictures here: Thanks Scott! http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...t26-s-UAS-Test

My second idea would be to feed my refugium with a MJ1200 with the venturi hose attached. The water/air output of the MJ would go through vinyl tubing to the bottom of my refugium. I would attach a small diameter (undecided on size) pvc to the vinyl tube. I would cut a slot in the pvc for the water/air to be pushed out of. I would attach the screen to the pvc (undecided on how) for the water/air to move up the screen. I'm also undecided on screen size and bulb wattage. The screen would be lit from behind the refugium and be one sided for now.

My main concern here is bubbles and salt creep. I plan to insert a thin, flexible piece of acrylic into my sump to act as a baffle before my drain. It would fit snuggly into the tank against each side and rise above the water line but not above the height of the tank. I'm also going to get a piece of glass cut to fit perfectly on top of my refugium above the section before the baffle (the only part that should have bubbles in it). This glass top should keep most (I hope) of the salt creep from getting out of the tank.

I would keep the rock in there along with the other macro algaes. I would expect the UAS to out-compete them for the nutrients and things would kind of take of themselves.

A couple of things. I have a one year old and my wife is less than thrilled with me spending a bunch of time with my tank (which I'm fine with because I'd rather spend time with the family anyway). What I'm getting at is don't expect this to move along very fast. I do what I can, when I can. And, I'm battling an issue with my Apex at the moment which demands my free time. Second thing, feel free to rip my ideas a new one!!! :-) I'm okay with constructive criticism and welcome it seeing how I'm new to algae scrubbers and not an expert (yet) on reef tanks :-)

Thanks for taking a look!!!
    Ooops, I'll copy this over once the actual build starts or is complete. My bad... Still let me know what you think though!!!
    Last edited by jacob.morgan78; 05-03-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: addition

had an idea about upflow scrubbers

on reef tanks that use an overflow and sump,,,would it be possible to capture and re-direct the bubbles coming out of the drain,,,and use them to "feed" the upflow scrubber in the sump? almost like an up side down reverse durso? No airstone or pump required! see where i am going with this? We all have tons of flow AND bubbles coming out of our drains..........

Administrator
    Yes. Taken care of

Hi!
    How often do you have to scrape the tank glass in front of the screen? Do you have to scrape the tank glass daily?

I mean, as soon as there is any algae growth on it, it'll have a huge impact, blocking the light falling on the screen. And as soon as there is any growth on the glass, it must be growing like crazy as the amount of light there is much higher than on the screen.

Hi everyone. I have always been a proponent of turf scrubbers. and this new up flow thing has my diy juices flowing. Since I just started a new system and am not really using a skimmer or gfo reactor. What if i took the venturi pump off my skimmer and used that for an upflow? does it need the bubbles or are the bubbles just making the water flow up past the screen?
    wouldn't that be a kick in the pants to the skimmer companies to take one apart and turn it into a scrubber :}

Yes that would work, but it's just the air that is making the water flow, so just an air pump is more plancton/living food friendly..

Banned
    I.E. I've got a patent on that LOL

Administrator
    How often do you have to scrape the tank glass in front of the screen?
    Just the same as the screen.

blocking the light falling on the screen
    I've let it over-grow a few times, and the screen kept on going.

does it need the bubbles or are the bubbles just making the water flow up past the screen?
    Needs the bubbles (air; CO2; carbon)

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I.E. I've got a patent on that LOL
    so mixing the two (air, water) over a screen for an upflow is good? I don't want to build anything comercially just have very limited space in my sump and if I can use my skimmer for a clay pigeon than it would kill two birds with one stone(or shotgun shell)

Hello all,

First of all I would highly recommend led-dna! I ordered 9 660nm leds about a week ago and I got them already! (less then a week from hong kong to europe!)
    I thinking about ordering a dimmable driver so I could further fine tune the uas.

I'm aso considering going AIO, this is the simplest and best design I could come up with:

The compartment will be 5-8cm deep and will either be placed on one of the ends or on the back, depending on where I'm going to place the tank.

For now I'm still waiting for my tank to be completed..., but I know for sure that my light fixture is on its way!

Jb

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information