+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    I would definitely go for a dimmable set up so you don't risk over exposure.

I am very new at this alge escrubber, i went to some one house, and I almost went crazy to see the results that she achive with this system.
    So since I am moving everything from my 55 gallon mix reef to a new 75 rimless I will give it a try, hope dont bother no one with my silly questions
    First i have a pump for bubles that has 2 outputs, can i just added to a a pipe as in the picture above and if so how the wholes should go?
    Second; if i dont close the end of the t the presure for the bubles will escape, or not

jbowser,

How water will be moved through your filter setup? Do you expect air bubbles to move enough water ? Or you will be adding return pump ?
    Your baffles could be improved if down section would be wider. You want water to go down very slowly to give time for bubbles to separate.
    Function of last baffle is unclear for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    jbowser,

How water will be moved through your filter setup? Do you expect air bubbles to move enough water ? Or you will be adding return pump ?
    Your baffles could be improved if down section would be wider. You want water to go down very slowly to give time for bubbles to separate.
    Function of last baffle is unclear for me too.
    From left to right:
    Water enters at the top, goes down through filtermedia.
    Goes up through the uas, most bubbles will pop at the top, but some will go down with the water.
    The last baffle forces the water to go up again for the last bubbles and on the bottom of compartment 3 A return pump will pump the water back to the dt.

Hope this makes any sense.

Jb

Quote Originally Posted by jbowser View Post
    Hope this makes any sense.

Jb
    Absolutely

UAS design questions

I am really interested in the new UAS design. I have a few problems to overcome since the only place a scrubber will fit in my system is the sump. There is too much flow in the sump and all the electrical equipment is very close. I would like to add some salt spray protection and flow restriction to make the scrubber more effective and less messy. This is the first prototype I have come up with. Please forgive my poor sketch-up skills. I need some suggestions on how to proceed.

Are the air bubbles and sump flow in the bottom enough too keep the nutrients in the scrubber the same levels as the tank? Or will I have to have to add some flow into the box? I was thinking about a small 30-50 GPH supply line/pump if needed.
    If the screen is going to be less then 12" square and the display tank is only 20G will four 10k leds work to light this? I would prefer these over red since there is often frags/corals ect in the sump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	UASproto1.jpg‎
Views:	301
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	2242  

Banned
    Nice design! I think if you put holes on the entire plate where the airstone sits on, not just the 3 holes you see in the picture, then it would be fine without an additional pump. What is the top hole for? Just to release gases? I think if you just stuck that in a sump and lit it on both sides (which seems to be one of the more difficult aspects to this UAS design) I think it would probably function properly.

Sadly, 10k LEDs are probably the worse color for growing algae. If your only choice was using white, I would pick a combo of warm to cool white, similar to red/blue, so if using 4 white LEDs, I would pick 3 warm white (to cover the red spectrum) and 1 cool white (to cover the blue).

Yeah that is a good idea, or to go even further I guess I could just use 2 or 3 cross braces to hold up the airstone. That way there is the least amount of acrylic impeding the flow.

So I was sitting in my living room with a sheet of screen in my hand and an idea struck me. Why am I thinking 2 dimensionally . BANG! I roll the screen into a tube. I think I may be on to something. So I grab an old skimmer I had laying around and pop the top off it. Drop the screen in.. progress. Tomorrow I will run to the local diy box store( home defunko or low e's) and finish the build with a sealed top. right now it is just using the old collection cup lid.

Some photos of the process. here is the tube of screen I made. This should in effect keep me from ever having to cut zip ties everytime i want to clean the screen and can be done with a brush.

In case you are wondering why I had random zip ties sticking out of the screen. I used the lock part for spacing to keep the screen off the plastic tube.

The water level sits just at the top of the screen with no adjustments and the bubbles move up the whole section equally.

A few things.
    1) how do i light this design ? I was thinking led strips wound around the tube and dipped in liquid plastic. problems being if they burn out it would be a bitch to replace them and possibly heat.

2) I think I may need to remove the inner tube from the bubble plate as it is currently not exposing the bottom of the screen to I.M.O. enough bubbles. But it is late and My creative juices are leaking out of my head. So tomorrow perhaps.

Thoughts? Feelings? Bad good ugly doesn't matter . Just trying to get people thinking 3 dimensionally.

so is there an advantage to the UAS as oppose to waterfall style scrubbers? like mainly i mean growth and scrub power?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information