+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

@Wopadobop

I think your "3d" design is just complicating things more.
    And even more if your gonna place the whole unit IN the tank or sump! Lighting should be waterproofed and be roubd, which should be fine if you used ledstrips but not so much if you want to use hp leds...

In my opinion 2d is the only easy way to go, but who knows maybe the algae will grow like mad in there!
    Why not give a jbj fuge light a try? From inside the tube and leave the outside as is?

My 2ct

Jb

The strip LED idea has been brought up before but the intensity/power of the light was questionable. Great idea, I use a HOB with an air venturi to put air to the scrubber. You can see the whole post of my HOB test here, its after SM's post: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fres...ime-algae.html
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    The circular version will work but is 1-sided unless you have lights on the inside and outside. If you can keep the screen 10 to 20 mm away from the plastic, it might help give growth room.

so is there an advantage to the UAS as oppose to waterfall style scrubbers?
    Aside from the obvious mechanical advantages of being able to place it in the display or sump, and not needing a water pump, chemically it should have the advantage of not being limited by carbon/CO2, and being less limited by matting-down.

I had seriously considered an ATS before but as I have a large amount of macro in my system,that I didn't want to lose, I chose to try vodka dosing. After several months of that my cyano and hair algae are no longer a problem buy not I have this creepy translucent stuff growing everywhere. So now I'm back to considering an ATS again instead of continually chasing my issues with vodka/biopellets,/ skimmer/etc.

My biggest issue is the amount of light. I'm assuming 120 square inches and 120w. But 120w seems like a massive amount of light. Plus I'm not eve sure how to get that much light in a 10" x 12" single sided area. Thoughts?
    Thread with my current build of UAS: Here
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    25g deep sand bed fuge and cheato tumbler
    55g sump
    40g fuge for pod production

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.
    Temps run between 70-73*F.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

Quote Originally Posted by SWhite View Post
    I had seriously considered an ATS before but as I have a large amount of macro in my system,that I didn't want to lose, I chose to try vodka dosing. After several months of that my cyano and hair algae are no longer a problem buy not I have this creepy translucent stuff growing everywhere. So now I'm back to considering an ATS again instead of continually chasing my issues with vodka/biopellets,/ skimmer/etc.

My biggest issue is the amount of light. I'm assuming 120 square inches and 120w. But 120w seems like a massive amount of light. Plus I'm not eve sure how to get that much light in a 10" x 12" single sided area. Thoughts?
    The creepy stuff more than likely is a bacterial bloom. Be careful with that as it depletes the oxygen in your tank. I would stop dosing vodka now

Banned
    Vodka's for drinkin' not for dosin'.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoyshnar View Post
    The creepy stuff more than likely is a bacterial bloom. Be careful with that as it depletes the oxygen in your tank. I would stop dosing vodka now
    I've been dialing it back for a couple of weeks now. I didn't want to suddenly stop using it as I don't want anything to spike in my system. Plus the weening period will give me time to get my ATS/UAS set up.

And I can't 'drink' so the vodka was just taking up space, heh.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

Banned
    Don't think your cheato tumbler would fair well with a scrubber if it's on the same system. If you can't decide to go ATS waterfall or UAS, personally UAS seems cheaper and easier if you haven't already spent loads of time setting up an ATS waterfall.

Administrator
    My biggest issue is the amount of light. I'm assuming 120 square inches and 120w.
    So far, recommendations are the same for UAS as with a waterfall: Based on feeding. Are you really feeding 10 cubes a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Don't think your cheating tumbler would fair well with a scrubber if it's on the same system. If you can't decide to go ATS waterfall or UAS, personally UAS seems cheaper and easier if you haven't already spent loads of time setting up an ATS waterfall.
    Oh I'm assuming that all of my macro will eventually die. But I'd rather have a healthier system than the macro. I'm looking to add a few more horses this summer and if my current system has issues keeping up with the current 4, 7 would cause real issues. I can go either way, ATS vs UAS, I've got a number of available spaces to set up either.

EDIT: I'll be giving away my macro when the times come so hopefully there won't be much left to die off.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    So far, recommendations are the same for UAS as with a waterfall: Based on feeding. Are you really feeding 10 cubes a day?
    I'd be aiming at a one sided screen with a likely 5 cube daily feedings after I get the additional horses.

EDIT the 2nd: I'm likely aiming at using LEDs, but I find humor in that I'd have more LEDS on the scrubber than I do over my 75g.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information