+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Quote Originally Posted by SWhite View Post
    EDIT the 2nd: I'm likely aiming at using LEDs, but I find humor in that I'd have more LEDS on the scrubber than I do over my 75g.
    More watts on your scrubber then on your dt? you know you need like 1/6 of the watts if you go leds on a ats/uas?

Jb

Quote Originally Posted by jbowser View Post
    More watts on your scrubber then on your dt? you know you need like 1/6 of the watts if you go leds on a ats/uas?

Jb
    Really? I had read it was 1/2. 1/6th would make it a no-brainer.
    Thread with my current build of UAS: Here
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    25g deep sand bed fuge and cheato tumbler
    55g sump
    40g fuge for pod production

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.
    Temps run between 70-73*F.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

Administrator
    Actually it's not really clear how much LED it would need. But I put 1/2 so that they could be run less hours if needed.

Banned
    Have you got a rock / horse combo, would love to see pics of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Have you got a rock / horse combo, would love to see pics of that.
    Added link in my sig with pics.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

Banned
    Added link in my sig with pics.
    Your rocks seem devoid of life. Is this a brand new set up? I think you need to do a UAS / ATS ASAP.

Your rocks seem devoid of life. Is this a brand new set up? I think you need to do a UAS / ATS ASAP.
    Tank has been up just shy of a year. Everything grows very slowly at my temps, so there is very little spread. As well I don't blast my tank with light as you would a reef tank as I just need illumination, not blind seahorses. Plus I don't have any SPS or LPS as they are potentially bad tank mates for seahorses. I don't supplement any Ca so the coraline grows very slowly as well. I trim back the macro regularly so it doesn't get out of control. So all that is left is softies, which grow slowly. But I've got 5 different types/colors of mushrooms, 2 different zoanthids, 6 different leathers, 6 different macro algae, 3 different anthelia and a couple patches of tiny clove polyps. EDIT and some GSP that is actually spreading fairly fast-ish. Lots of stuff, just doesn't grow real fast. Just added a quick full tank shot to the pics.

Sorry for derailing the thread. So would a happy medium be like 1/4 of the wattage in LEDs with the potential to dim or reduce light phase? Oh and I miss calculated, I have 84w in LEDs over the tank which would be less that the 120w of CFLs.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Banned
    Tank has been up just shy of a year. Everything grows very slowly at my temps, so there is very little spread. As well I don't blast my tank with light as you would a reef tank as I just need illumination, not blind seahorses. Plus I don't have any SPS or LPS as they are potentially bad tank mates for seahorses. I don't supplement any Ca so the coraline grows very slowly as well. I trim back the macro regularly so it doesn't get out of control. So all that is left is softies, which grow slowly. But I've got 5 different types/colors of mushrooms, 2 different zoanthids, 6 different leathers, 6 different macro algae, 3 different anthelia and a couple patches of tiny clove polyps. EDIT and some GSP that is actually spreading fairly fast-ish. Lots of stuff, just doesn't grow real fast. Just added a quick full tank shot to the pics.

Sorry for derailing the thread. So would a happy medium be like 1/4 of the wattage in LEDs with the potential to dim or reduce light phase? Oh and I miss calculated, I have 84w in LEDs over the tank which would be less that the 120w of CFLs.
    Even soft corals require calcium, they form spicules within their internal structure that forms their shape, these are formed from calcium. I think "stuff, just doesn't grow real fast." is something you need to pay attention to. This will be a problem for you long term unless you take action. Pretty sure horses use lots of calcium too, but don't quote me on that!

Even soft corals require calcium, they form spicules within their internal structure that forms their shape, these are formed from calcium. I think "stuff, just doesn't grow real fast." is something you need to pay attention to. This will be a problem for you long term unless you take action. Pretty sure horses use lots of calcium too, but don't quote me on that!
    You know before a bunch of life stuff happened, as of a few months ago, my numbers were low but acceptable. Hadn't tested in a while and thanks to your post I tested again and now my Ca and Mag are quite low...Ugh now something else I have to get squared away. Oh the life of a marine aquarist.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Banned
    Glad to be of assistance

Start a new thread on horses with ATS/UAS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information