+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    I thought about doing that, kind of like the bubble walls. That's exactly what they use, just a piece of airline tubing with holes in it. I don't see why it would not work. You can get hard tubing in larger diameters too and could poke holes all over it with a hot pin or something. I sure would like to try that one of these days when I get any free time. Oh yeah, I don't get that. Darn!

I am using a pvc pipe with holes that i made with a needle.

Did also try to drill 1mm holes, but 1mm holes seemed to be a little to big, using a needle was making about the right size holes.

Have anybody tried the wooden air stones used in protein air skimmers? they make very small bubbles, could small bubbles be better than big bubbles?

Administrator
    Or just put the screen into the slot in the tubing.

I have slots cut in my overflow pipe which my screen is attached.

Banned
    I don't think he meant like in a waterfall scrubber, he's saying take a piece of the hard airline tubing and cut it lengthwise and just put the screen into the 'slot' created. Not PVC pipe slot hanging from above, airline tubing on the bottom.

Banned
    Oh dang. You could just take flex hose airline tubing and slice it lengthwise. SM I think you just dropped a hint you hint dropper you

Administrator
    Well actually I think that one was already posted a few days ago.

I knew what he meant. I have my pipe running down and across the bottom with the slots pointing upward. I get tons of air sucked down with the overflow that it's like a bubbler. I tried it first with the air stone and didn't need it. If slots are done right, you won't need a air stone, no pump needed and really nothing extra.

would cleaning the screen(above) be a PIA? what about having the air stone affixed to the bottom of a chamber and having a seperate screen that slides into a channel, when it's time to clean simply remove the top(cover) and pull the screen out?? wish I knew how to draw what I am thinking of

What about a soaker hose with an air tube going into it? Add a tight slot for the screen and supply air? I have not tired.. just thought about it a few minutes ago. What you think?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information