+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Administrator
    They actually make hoses for underwater bubbling.

Hi!
    Can't find whether this has been answered yet: when I turn OFF the lights for 6 hours in an UAS setup, do I also turn down the air supply on the screen, or does the air turn ON all the time?

Hey.. Just thought if It will help you guys.. I was wondering if create a baffle say 3 inches width and length wherever you want, make the two baffles to be a triangle sicilione glue them on bottom of sump? be sure to included air stone inside the triangle, top of triangle are slightly open for needle canvas screen insert in the triangle.. that way it will control air bubbles swim upward straight sides of screen?
    Just thought...

Has anyone had issues finding the right kind of air stone?

I've tried two different models so far and they both don't seem to work properly. The first one is flat with a plastic base and only bubbles from the top. It's 10" long and the bubbles are pathetic. So, I tried a "bubble wall" version that is like a thin tube and green but the bubbles are super fine and it just seems to sort of fizz. Any specific brands people are using?

Administrator
    Leave the air on all the time.

You can get a larger pump to get more air than fizz.

Design question/idea.... I am going to use a 30g long tank, raise it above my sump but still under my aquarium, add two 8"x22" screens attached to bubblers, 27 LED's per screen (660nm), bring water in from one end and have an overflow box on the other end for return to sump. That should give me about 44g of food per day or 1.56oz of food.

What do you think of this setup? The screen will be placed ~2" from the LED array on each side of the tank.

Is there a lph guideline for bubbles?

Do you think those underwater hose bubblers are good for the UAS?

Administrator
    No lph guide yet. Seems that more is better.

1 cube is about 3 grams. So 44 grams is about 14 cubes. Needs about 176 square inches, with up to a total of 88 watts of LED.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    No lph guide yet. Seems that more is better.

1 cube is about 3 grams. So 44 grams is about 14 cubes. Needs about 176 square inches, with up to a total of 88 watts of LED.
    Okay, added a few more LED's and think I have a good plan to start with. Will order parts tomorrow.

What bubbler setup has been found to work best so far?

Banned
    I have seen posts where small fish have been seen eating the screen algae, but in the absence of fish, has anyone seen mysids eating the copepods on the screen ( or at least prowling around the screen ). Seems this screen could well mean a mysid heaven / breeding ground.

My pump could be double maybe even triple the out put imo, It is very quiet (happy) once the cabinet door is closed it is on par of the noise from the bubbles bursting, I would assume that double the size double the noise or close to it.

Im using the flexi hose air stone 30cm in length on this unit. Also I have found that the smaller the distance the air has to travel the more air/pressure you gain.

The length of the air hose is approx 50cm I could shave more off this as well by raising the pump above the water line which is recomended. The flexi stone is sitting just under the water line.. not at the bottom like some. My canvas lays over a baffle with water running over it a glass plate on top with led sitting on this the hose sits up stream leting the bubbles run over the canvas. I dont want to go on about the way im doing it just a bit of a talk about the pump as this is one of 4 factors in this design. Bubble size is small and cost of pump was $24 au

Spec below

Hailea Aco-6602
    power 2.5W
    pressure 0.013mpa
    output 4L/min (240L/hr)
    noise <40db
    flow is adjustable (I have it all the way up)

This is the second from the bottom in the range they have 2 more above this one the next one up in the range doubles in output 8l/min then the top one is 10L/min

I hope this has helped.. I will edit this post to add what I have seen in growth.. Its not an ideal set up but I was getting loads of pods on it before the added air. It will just be interesting to see the diffrence with the changes I have made.

Should a thread be started on just air pumps and airstones?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information