+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    SM, could you maybe start a thread that links to all the other sites where you have posted the UAS threads?

Administrator
    Probably not a good idea, since it makes it easy for the haters.

Would haters not make it easier to track progress and make improvements? Or would they be too big of a PITA?

Administrator
    Pain.

The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

So I was thinking of a way to create some sort of way to force more bubble contact with the screen. I was debating on using an acrylic build kind of what someone else built, but my acrylic isn't my forte.

A modified version of that is what I will be making. Ideally creating a U out of the mesh with a choke point to force the bubbles closer to the screen will promote more algae growth, and is simple enough for any one to make. I also plan on putting some sort of blocker so light doesn't get to the U part or the air stone. Before I make it, I want to experiment with other ideas of catching bubbles onto the net, but I have no idea where to even start with something like that.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Just make the U out of solid/black/opaque plastic and you don't need the light blocker. It should be easy to bend a piece up, even if acrylic isn't your forte. Spend $2 on a plastic clipboard from Walmart and give it a try. You might be able to find flexible solid/opaque plastic-- maybe flexible cutting board material or shelf liners.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganAtlanta View Post
    Just make the U out of solid/black/opaque plastic and you don't need the light blocker. It should be easy to bend a piece up, even if acrylic isn't your forte. Spend $2 on a plastic clipboard from Walmart and give it a try. You might be able to find flexible solid/opaque plastic-- maybe flexible cutting board material or shelf liners.
    Hmm one of these? I don't really have a blow torch lol. I guess I can try to use a blow dryer. I will go to Walmart today and see what I can find.

Give it a try. You'll only be in for a couple bucks.

A hair dryer might work, and like wise I've heard of people using curling irons, regular irons or just heating in the oven to 300f.

You can try one of them black flexible cutting board for use in the kitchen.

I wound up not using the U, just because there is not enough space to make it efficient with the water level I have to work with. I will just wind up cleaning the air stones regularly. This is something that would work great in a sump though.

Here is a video of the scrubber before getting rid of the slotted pipe (was debating on doing both for a while till I cut myself and got pissed at it lol).
    http://youtu.be/nS8XdWh6AjI

Here is after I got rid of the slotted pipe, and added another air stone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fNvm29LzaY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information