+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    What I am planning is similar to this. I'm going to cut a slot in a piece of PVC pipe just smaller than the air wand I use, the wrap a piece of clear plastic (like what you use in a report cover) and then slide the wand into the pipe with the plastic over the whole screen. The idea here is that is will 'hug' the screen, which forces the bubbles to rub the entire screen all the way up. Then when the screen grows out, the plastic will flex out with the growth but it won't allow the bubbles to bypass the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    What I am planning is similar to this. I'm going to cut a slot in a piece of PVC pipe just smaller than the air wand I use, the wrap a piece of clear plastic (like what you use in a report cover) and then slide the wand into the pipe with the plastic over the whole screen. The idea here is that is will 'hug' the screen, which forces the bubbles to rub the entire screen all the way up. Then when the screen grows out, the plastic will flex out with the growth but it won't allow the bubbles to bypass the screen.
    I like that idea, more confined=less space for bubbles to disperse. I wonder if doing that will restrict growth too much though. So you are thinking of bending really thin acrylic to do that?

Banned
    No, like I said I will be using a sheet of plastic like you use for the cover of a report, like paper thickness

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    No, like I said I will be using a sheet of plastic like you use for the cover of a report, like paper thickness

Gotcha, will they be hard, or flowy like paper?

Banned
    Like the consistency of x-ray paper but clear

Cool, let me know how that turns out. Def want to see the plans on paper.

What are people doing to help prevent the massive amounts of salt creep from popping bubbles?
    Thread with my current build of UAS: Here
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    25g deep sand bed fuge and cheato tumbler
    55g sump
    40g fuge for pod production

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.
    Temps run between 70-73*F.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

Banned
    With the apparent problems with light intensity on the UAS instead of buying diffusers, couldn't you send another load of bubbles up to refract the light ( further away from the screen ). Then when you wanted to intensify the lighting, the light diffusing bubble set could be turned down or off. Sorry if this has already been talked about.

Administrator
    What are people doing to help prevent the massive amounts of salt creep from popping bubbles?
    Waiting for the next version

couldn't you send another load of bubbles up to refract the light
    Bubble do scatter the light more (like a prism), but I don't think they reflect light (like a mirror). So if the screen is green in some areas and not in others, more bubbles would probably help. But if the whole screen has no green, you probably just need to reduce hours. Or maybe increase hours. Still unshure.

Banned
    Actually a fair portion bounces around the inside of the bubble and ends up going all different directions, effectively distancing the light source from the screen. I have even named this method of light control as Garfs Intensity Transformer, or GIT for short.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information