+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Is the upflow design proven that it should be better than a waterfall design? Or are we just hoping to keep tweaking it so that it performs better?

Seems like all the screens I have seen are not nearly as impressive as even poorly built waterfall designs.

Banned
    This is really a version for people to test and try out. Further refinements will likely enhance effectiveness. Like the one I just made LOL

May have been discussed but has anyone looked at using skimmer with the air turned down to reduce the bubbles/skim production?

has it been determined yet if bigger bubbles are better or more smaller bubbles are better?

also in regards to getting more bubbles to touch the screen, how about trying to crowd the box full of bubbles. i see the screen tied to a

12 inch wood stone. can you just put two more wood stones in, one on each side of the first wood stone. or more depending on the size of box.

that way the bubbles would fill up the whole box and would push the bubbles together

pressing against the screen.

Administrator
    I think more air is always better, but it's not proven. And I not sure yet about bubble size, although larger bubbles would penetrate and move the hair algae better.

i found a youtube video that shows the concept of what i was thinking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uas design 2.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	2397

Administrator
    My intuition tells me that those micro bubbles are not going to work. At the very least, if growth gets thick, those bubbles would not be able to move the gha about, and thus the deeper layers would die sooner due to lack of light and flow. I'm sure there is an application for such a fog though...

Banned
    What is the original purpose of that bubble generator?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    My intuition tells me that those micro bubbles are not going to work. At the very least, if growth gets thick, those bubbles would not be able to move the gha about, and thus the deeper layers would die sooner due to lack of light and flow. I'm sure there is an application for such a fog though...
    See the last part?! "I'm sure there is an application for such a fog though..." a clue!

See what the "fog" seems to do to the light?! You would think it would block all/most of the light... but if you see it kind of fills saturates the water column with light... it may not be able to most the algae but what if you make flow do that...?

Dryworm... your on to something think you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by srusso View Post
    See the last part?! "I'm sure there is an application for such a fog though..." a clue!

a clue... I think I have been watching to much "Blue's Clues" with my son....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information