+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Hybrid View

Banned
    If you're talking PE mysis and a coldwater non-coral seahorse tank, that is pretty specific conditions and I would do whatever is suggested by seahorse keepers (I believe rinsing is in order). I even rinse that stuff before adding to my DIY reef food, it's greasy stuff. But the stuff from Brine Shrimp Direct or the like is much less to worry about, just thaw & pour off, maybe a quick rinse in RODI but that's it.

I have a bunch of soft coral and I'm wondering if they would gain benefit from the extra "stuff"...
    Thread with my current build of UAS: Here
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    25g deep sand bed fuge and cheato tumbler
    55g sump
    40g fuge for pod production

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.
    Temps run between 70-73*F.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

Administrator
    Sizing does not matter, drained or not. The nutrients are the same, and are all in the solid food, which are converted quickly into urine by the animals. Urine (ammonia/ammonium) is mostly what grows the algae.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...-Holmes-Farley

There is agitation and circulation in a waterfall scrubber. It's my understanding that algae responds best to nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, CO2, and light. all i'm saying is if you use CO2 already in your water column to grow plants, just make a large co2 reactor, and grow algae in it.

If you have a CO2 reactor already, using it will help stimulate growth if properly applied. That is true.

Please forgive me for sounding like a broken record but part of the point of having an up flowing bubble system is to create randomized turbulence, which helps prevent algae strands from sticking together. Strands that are stuck together can reduce the light that gets to the lower strands but the most important point is, in my opinion, that strands that are stuck together will begin to suffocate. If water can flow by all of the strands, the growth can increase by 50%.

Additionally, when matting is forestalled by agitation, algae death does not return nutrients to the water column. This means that while peak growth is not maintained when harvesting is delayed, algae will continue to grow and take up nutrients instead of going backwards.

So, if you can use CO2 while preventing clumping then all the better but clumping is a bigger issue.

Signed Mr. Turbulance :-)

turbulence

OK, now I am understanding why turbulance and agitation are important!
    Thanks!

Administrator

The new Hang-On-Glass UAS with bubble remover:

The new Hang-On-Glass UAS with bubble remover:

Banned
    Looks good, now with the vent holes out of the water how do u make sure you have water flowing in and out of the scrubber chamber?

Administrator
    Water comes in the bottom, sucked in by the upflowing bubbles. It goes out of the spaces in the sides, or you can make holes in the sides.

Banned
    ok.. did you make a corner version of this one?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information