+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    I think the quantity of horizontal growth you are getting it better because it is small. With a screen that small and narrow, there is less chance for channeling as there is with the traditional huge screens. Of course the rules of the sizing game changed everything, but I don't think anyone looked backward (or more appropriately, took a step backward) and revisited and actually built a horizontal scrubber based on the feeding guidelines until you did Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I don't think the microbubbles will really be much of an issue either. Microbubbles are usually caused by turbulence, the bubbles produced by an airstone will generally be bigger and since they are 'traveling' upward by design, will tend to break at the surface. If you think about the usual sponge filter bubbler, or old undergravel filter with airstones at the bottom, you don't get a microbubble problem in those systems.
    I think of the bubbles produced by a wood air "stone" that is used in air driven protein skimmers. I have one laying around, maybe this is not the type of air stone to use?

Jnad

Banned
    jnad, are those a special kind of airstone? Why wood I wonder. I would think any airstone that is reef safe would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    jnad, are those a special kind of airstone? Why wood I wonder. I would think any airstone that is reef safe would work.
    It produce micro bubbles, they are so small that inside the skimmer the mix of water and air look milky. It is not the same type of air stone that is used in fresh water, it is an Aqua Medic product.

Jnad

Banned

I would think it would be ok Jnad.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Hmmm would a smaller amount of bigger faster travelling bubbles work better or worse than much larger amount of much smaller and slower travelling bubbles provided by a wooden airstone?

I wonder about maybe making a "V" screen for my second design to see how more direct air contact would make.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    you mean a UAS double screen in a V shape?

Without a doubt the best ideas are the simplest

Congratulations to come to see this design as simple and efficient

A few weeks ago I started to change my sump and put my screen over the tank fed by the closed loop, this to be plugged into a SCWD, it gives water about 40 seconds and 40 seconds without water, it was about to comment that growth was significantly higher, which made me understand that the need for air for good growth of algae is necessary, and now confirmed with this hehehe

Here is a photo

I really thank you very much Santa Monica

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information