+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Administrator
    No... not enough wattage.

Now that there have been some test run, I am wondering if people are getting good harvest quantities compared to ...say, a water fall scrubber? For those that over built on the lighting, I would guess that the answer is yes and even better but that is why you run tests. I have seen the pics of screen in the first few days of use. Now that some of you have some time under your belts, are you getting hands full of algae?

New here, HOB UAS questions

I have a 12gal long reef and am very interested in the new UAS concept. This is my 2nd attempt at reefkeeping. I gave up the 1st time because no matter what I tried, all I ended up with was a tank full of algae. I just went thru it again with this tank but have it under control by water changes, H2O2, GFO, etc.... The trouble is am afraid to feed the tank residents now! I would like to attempt some sort of UAS, preferably something smaller in tank or HOB. I have an Aquaclear 50 HOB that I could use and would appreciate thoughts on that. Any other suggestions would really be appreciated!!!

Administrator
    Welcome. Look through the UAS test builds... there is one made out of an HOB filter...
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/foru...Scrubber-(UAS)

Banned
    As soon as I can, I'm going to run a Pepsi-challenge test on my tank, I'm going to put a waterfall scrubber (L2) on the same tank as the UAS and let them battle it out. Should be interesting.

I haven't been measuring and weighing my harvests from the UAS, at this point I've just been trying to work out the kinks. I think I've got it all down now though, added suction cups to hold the bar down and full-size diffusers in front of the LED fixtures

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    I have a 12gal long reef and am very interested in the new UAS concept. This is my 2nd attempt at reefkeeping. I gave up the 1st time because no matter what I tried, all I ended up with was a tank full of algae. I just went thru it again with this tank but have it under control by water changes, H2O2, GFO, etc.... The trouble is am afraid to feed the tank residents now! I would like to attempt some sort of UAS, preferably something smaller in tank or HOB. I have an Aquaclear 50 HOB that I could use and would appreciate thoughts on that. Any other suggestions would really be appreciated!!!
    This on has the HOB listed: http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...rry-s-UAS-test
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    i have to say.. with the new scrubber i see alot less growh.. a lot. However wihin a week of setting it up algae started dying.. seems like is more power with less growth ime

Administrator
    Should not be any dying.

Well, stopped at a craft store and picked up a sheet of #7 mesh and roughed it up with a hole saw. Sure seems like algae would grow on it. I may give the AC50 HOB a try. I feed about 1/2 cube a day so I am thinking 3"x4" would be ok? Need to find a 3"long bubbler of some sort and was thinking maybe 2 660nm leds? Would the normal water flow on this type of setup be ok? Also noticed that Santa Monica is selling a UAS for a reasonable price. Has anyone tried one? Thanks for everyones patience!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Should not be any dying.
    I think he meant algae in the tank was dying. In that case there should be dying.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information