+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Administrator
    Yes I think the wood ones are very fine bubbles.

Picked up a 6" air stone and a 12" air stone as well as a pump. I am debating on how I want to set this up in a small tank. I am really temped to cycle a small reef tank with this and see how it holds up.

Just came home from my local fish shop with a new air stone (10 cm long), the screen i am going to use is 14 cm wide so i think it will be a good fit.

I did notice that my local fish shop also had an alternative to the regular air stones that maybe could be used. It was a thin tube with tiny holes, i think it will produce a kind of narrow carpet of bubbles and the tube could be cut to the desierd length. Dont know the size of bubbles this tube make, but it could be perfect for a in tank one sided screen? Or maybe there should be bubbles on both sides of the screen even if the screen only have light on only one side?

I hope i get the scrubber up running today or tomorrow at latest, i will post some pictures then.

jnad

I want to get mine going to!!! I have to at least get my stand screwed together for my 150G and maybe some ro/di in it. Its all cut and stained! I hope this first testing leads to a good idea for my 150G!!! I plan to have something up by today as I have got all my 6 acres of grass cut during the week so I would have time this weekend to get the new tech going. So excited, I feel like one of my kids awaiting a gift????? How corny is that LOL.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Just have run the new air stone with screen, this stone have the right size bubbles

But i still have a bubble problem to be solved, the problem is no longer micro bubbles in the display, but the huge amount of air bubbles exploding in the surface almost make my floor wet

My nano reef have a open top and the bubbles exploding in the surface make a lot of splashing, even my display light get wet.

I will try to build a simple enclosed box to have the screen inside, just like a co-current protein skimmer leting the air out on the top trough a hole in the top. I think the box only will have an opening in the bottom just like a co-current skimmer. When the water are sucked in tru the open bottom and rises upwards with the air bubbles there have to be water going downvards an out of the box.

I will figure something out

Jnad

No, I feel its the same really. I had a horizontal that was under about a 1/4"-ish+ of water on my 10G SW with out any issues at all besides it was not as efficient as the vertical. The tank still acted the same after I switched it to vert, the only difference was I could feed more. I have another horizontal still on my 10G pod tank which is 80% out of the water and those numbers on that tank were comparable to the underwater one.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    huge amount of air bubbles exploding in the surface
    Just tape a piece of plastic to the tank wall, that sticks out over the water like a cover.
    Last edited by SantaMonica; 04-28-2012 at 03:14 AM.

SM - to what extent have you tested this new design? Just what has been uploaded here?

Finally, the bubble problem is solved, thanks SM.

The "in tank" test scrubber is now up running and i am very satisfied with the result.

Only have to fix the light, but that is easy, will fix the light later today, just have to decide what light to use, i have three different light alternatives. I have one cfl 11W , one cfl 18 PL-L (this is a longer type with two parallel tubes and external ballast), or i can use the two led lights i am using on my current scrubber.

Any suggestions for what light to use?

I will post some pictures when ready with the light, should i start a separate tread or post here?

Jnad

Administrator
    I've tested several of them, which is where the other embodiments came from.

For lights, it should be same requirements.

Make new post here and I'll separate them to a new thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information