+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Administrator
    This example from 3Twinklets on the R2R site shows that if growth gets thick, it needs to be cleaned a day or two earlier, before it blocks light from the middle section which you can see here:
    Attachment 5566

Administrator
    The stronger version of the HOG3, designed to handle higher phosphate in the water, is now posted at:
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...taMonica-HOG3x

Administrator
    Tips and mods that will work with any upflow glass-attached scrubber:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?3216

Administrator

After reading all 694 posts of this thread, I'm wondering if anyone has tried to combine one of these with an under gravel filter. Did it/ would it work?

Administrator
    Welcome.

No I don't think I've heard of a single case of this.

I'm putting together a 55 gallon fresh water tank. Fairly light load with mostly small tetra, at least to start.

Here's a quick sketch of my in take scrubber idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uas.PNG
Views:	626
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	5807

I intend to make a 3d background, and integrate/hide the scrubber into it. The idea is to make a box, probably from pvc, that would keep all the light contained in the tank. I would build a pvc slip joint into the box, that I can slide onto the diy undergravel filter. That would both keep the scrubber in place and draw water from under the gravel. Then to clean it out all I have to do is lift it off the pvc and take the whole box to the sink. Similar to the hog, except I wont ever have to clean the glass. It will also keep any of the tank inhabitants from being sucked into the filter.

After reading about some of the problems and failures of others on this site, I'm going to use two separate scrubbers. That will allow me to try different setups on each one, +/- air, light, flow etc, in parallel and observe the results under the same conditions. Another benefit is I can alternate harvests to try and lower the chemical spikes of having lots of algae one day to almost none the next day.

One of the problems is going to be having a light submerged. Almost all the pictures I've seen have the light on the outside of the glass. Is there a problem with lights in the water? Other than the obvious shorting potential, light refraction, heat, led life etc?

I'm really unsure about what would be optimal sizing for the box. Thin narrow and tall would be my ideal, but I don't see any pictures of that on here either. The Hogs are pretty deep/thick, both inside and outside the glass. It looks like there is 4-6 inches from the light source to screen. Is that so allow room for algae to grow or light optimization?

I found some underwater led strips for pretty cheap, fairly low power though, so I would a couple I'm sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	led.jpg‎
Views:	274
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	5806  

Administrator
    Where do the air bubbles come from?

Shorting out is the only thing to protect from; just dip the LEDs twice in Devcon 30 minute epoxy, and let dry overnight between each dip. I don't thing the LED strip you found will be enough power; you need 3 watt LEDs.

Narrow and tall is a good plan. If you can design anything, make the bubble side 20 mm deep to maximize light penetration. The smaller HOG's are about the same.

The bubbles would come from an air pump and tubing. My first thought was to put the line in the pvc below the scrubber. With no light on the air stone, algae plugging it up wouldn't be a problem. Not sure how the air bubbles would contact the screen though, I would have to test it.

For inside the actual scrubber, has anyone tried leaving a large space to allow the algae to grow longer?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	5816
    I'm wondering if leaving more space for the algae to get longer it would extend the time required between clean outs. Is there a magic number for the length it can get before it starts to break off and enter the tank?

Administrator
    Just use strings. Attach them at the base, and make them long enough to reach the top.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information