+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Hello!

Light is now in place on the scrubber, i used the cfl 18W PL-L tube.

It is to late to post pictures now, i post the pictures tomorrow, it will be 1-day of running then

Good night

Jnad

Administrator
    Cut the screen so it's only as wide as the bubbles. And you can put a sheet of black or flexible reflector behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    I've tested several of them, which is where the other embodiments came from.
    do you have test pictures of these tanks?

Administrator
    No, they were scraps here and there in the sump, etc.

Administrator
    I moved the goldfish and UAS back to the 10g fw after letting the screen dry out for a few days, and it's now got bright green spots on it again at day 3.

Santamonica, hi

if not already placed, but just wondering, the water flow remains the same, or now with this design is lower??

Administrator
    Not sure what you mean by water flow.

35gph per inch

Administrator
    There is no water flow, only air flow. After a few people show their results, we'll come up with a recommended air flow rate.

Banned
    I was trying to think of a way to force the airflow to come out of the stone directly below the screen instead of from the sides and bottom of the airstone to ensure that it will all fully rub the screen. I came up with an idea on the way into work today. Seal the bottom of the airstone with reef-safe epoxy (safer). I like the epoxy option myself because that also weighs down the stone and you can make a "base" that would force it to sit flat and in position. For the trapezoidal airstone I bought, I would wrap the epoxy around the base and 1/2 way up the sides, which would force or "route" the bubbles right up on the screen. Also since the bubbles will be more concentrated on the screen vs flying off sideways, you could get away with a smaller air pump. Right now I'm using a double-outlet pump and tying the outlets together to get what I consider enough air flowing across the screen.

This could also be done for a round airstone, though it might not be quite as necessary since the bubbles from a round stone should naturally wrap up around the stone toward the top.

Also I have found that if you put the screen in a box, you had better have a tight fitting lid that is also cross-braced. Water droplets on the underside of the lid are large and if it were not tight fitting with tabs on the inside to keep it from moving, it would probably have slid off from the water getting under it. Ther is a bit of salt creep after 2+ days of operating, but not much, luckily. No growth noticable as of 9pm yesterday (start of photoperiod #3)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information