Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with design

Help with design

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1625

I am in the design phase of my new build and would like to include an ATS. The system will be a 75gal display and 40gal sump with display in center for frags. The water will drain from the display into a small sump used for a backup skimmer (used only periodically in addition to ATS). The water will then flow into the ATS. Here I am considering two options. The first is the consensus preferred method using a hanging screen. Here I would have to use a large diameter pipe to accommodate flow since it will not be dropping from any height and I am worried about noise. The second would use a slanted screen. Here it would just be a wide even weir. Both would be encased in acrylic. Both would only be lit from one side using an eshines LED fixture. The catch is I want to make the ATS double as a bong cooler. So, the slanted option is my easiest option. I will have between 900-1000GPH flow and can direct 100% of flow across screen or split it. It will be moderately feed between 2-3 cubes per day and heavy bioload. Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Travis

No one has any opinions? Did I leave out any important info that would help with feedback?

Banned
    It's a tough call, that's for sure.

With the information you provided, I personally like the sound of option B even if it isn't the most preferred option. I think it will handle all your needs and concerns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    The catch is I want to make the ATS double as a bong cooler.
    Is this a typo or are you serious?

Banned
    LOL, it isn't what your thinking Floyd. It just looks like what your thinking... but it is just a way to build a cheap chiller, kind of like what I did when putting a big fan over my screen. They are mostly used for DIY modding of computers when making them watercooled. I did that myself about 10 years ago on one of my computers. More of an expensive gimmick than anything else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bongcooler.png

Banned
    I guess I need to clean up my thinking!

I can see how that was holding up the conversation. Lets say I move in the direction of option B. My next question would be, any ideas on how to build the overflow from the small sump? I am thinking it needs to be detachable for cleaning, but still water tight so it doesn't leak. Or can I just make a top for it that is removable with the screen and just need to wipe out the overflow?

Administrator
    A 2-sided waterfall is going to outperform the horizontal in every way, including smaller space. It's just a little harder to build.

I have read lots and lots of your posts and understand I am handicapping myself to some extent. I think with the size lighting fixture I have it should compensate some for only being one sided. What are your thoughts on it being slanted. It should perform better than a horizontal because the water depth will be maybe 1" and have lots of flow. Am I wrong in thinking as the algae grows it will break the water surface and give me the desired air water mix?

I have had both the Horizontal and the Vertical and there is NO comparison.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information