+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SM100 suggestion to get better green

The 16 hours looks better. I did not clean the screen after last week, just the slot area. the growth is a lot better on the end away from the inflow. The flow is a lot better on that end also.

I presently have my screen centered on the pipe. I plan on leaving everything as is and see if I can duplicate what I got this week, unless you think I need to change the time up or down some more??? After I get my results next week, I may consider moving the screen to the far end of the pipe.

I did some flow testing. The absolute best flow that I can get out of my system, without it overflowing is 365 GPH. But with that I right at the point, that if I increase the return flow, I run a chance of overflowing the tank. Which means I will either have to build a bigger weir overflow, or drill the tank. I tested the flow with and without the screen in place (without the screen was just out of the pipe not through the slotted pipe) My comfortable flow rate, without fear that I was pushing the envelope, fear of over flowing, was 320 gph. With everything seat the same and putting the pipe with the screen on it the flow off of the screen is about 300. With that I have a about 1.5 " of water in the bottom of the scrubber. If I increase the flow, I would probably have to add another drain hole.

Thanks for all your help.

Kent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg‎
Views:	295
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg‎
Views:	312
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg‎
Views:	290
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg‎
Views:	280
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1746  

Administrator
    Looks like a classic burn spot. Can you spread the light out more evenly to the ends?

the way my lights are set, they actually extend out beyond both sides of the screen. The lights are 15" long and the screen is 6". As I have been working trying to increase the flow, I have noticed that I don't have as good of flow on that end, even though the water first hits the slot at that point. I may attempt to even out the flow. At this point the slot is uniform in size and the screen is extended into the slot an even amount.

Thanks for all the help.
    Kent

Administrator
    You can try inserting a second layer of screen into the slot at the high flow areas, which will direct more flow to the low ones.

Thanks... I will give it a try.

It as been a over three years, since I build my SM100. It has been a very great success, no water changes, all numbers been steady at 0, only thing I have to do is add RO and Salt. No algae issue in display, but still fight cyano.

At this point I am looking at moving to LED for the lighting. My current screen is 5X12, have played with smaller, this seems to work the best. In reading it appears, I need to have a max of 15 660 and 2 450 3W per side. I have been reading through the threads and notice that as far as DIY, that most of the suggestions go back to 2012, as far as sources of material, drivers, brand of led, etc.

So wondering what is everybody doing in 2015. What is the best drivers to use, where is the best place to get the leds, heat sinks, etc.

I am moving from CFL to LED, for a couple of reasons, looking to cut energy usage, and my ballast burned out. So instead of replacing the ballast, figured jump to LED. I have considered this as an alternative http://www.expressions-ltd.com/Algae...grow-light.htm but noticed it is only running 1W 9 bulbs instead of 3W.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kent

Administrator
    Glad to see your scrubber doing great. I think these Chinese LEDs may work good, one of the 20 watt ones on each side:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...ll=1#post37669

thanks for the reply. I am guessing you are meaning this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291399671385#shpCntId

If so if doesn't appear to be able to be ship to the US.

Kent

Administrator
    Yes, there are plenty of them on all ebay sites, and they all come from China.

I did some more digging and found them

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information