+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM100 suggestion to get better green

SM100 suggestion to get better green

I built a SM100 clone and started using it in Aug, 2011. I am utilizing a screen that I started with in Nov. of 2010. (see other threads started earlier)

Since moving to the SM100, my tank has really blossomed. numerous feather dusters have sprung up throughout, sponges all over the place, my mushrooms have really taken off. I have seen a reduction in the amount of turf algea on the rocks, but I can not seem to get rid of it, I know I have to make the scrubber stronger. I now have done a water change in 9 months, the skimmer has been gone for a year.

I am feeding probably about 1 cube of flack daily and 1 cube of frozen shrimp a couple of times a week.

I have not been successful at getting the screen green. It has been mainly brown and yellow, except right at where the screen joins the slot and it a great color of green and good growth. Of course that is where the light is not as strong.

Three weeks ago I reduced the size of the screen from 7 1/2" long by 6 1/2" High, to 6 3/4 long (slot length) by 6 1/2 high. I also cut the time from 18 hours to 17 hours. I let it go 14 days, still got the yellow and brown slimy growth and I have always had great 3D growth at the bottom.

7 days ago, I cut the time to 15 hours and started dosing 3 ml of iron solution daily. This week I got dark green slimy growth, no yellow and brown. Still have great green growth at the edge. See pictures attached.

I have now cut the time to 14 hours a day, to see what will happen. Do you think I am on the right track???

Any suggestions are appreciated. I really want to get rid of the algea in the tank.

since making the screen change the only parameter that has change is my salinity it has gone from 1.0225 to 1.0255. NH3 is still 0, Phospate 0, PH 8.2.

Thanks in advance

Kent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091[1].jpg‎
Views:	490
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092[1].jpg‎
Views:	460
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1648  

It sounds to me you need more flow. I would say thats why you get great green growth at the slot.

Administrator
    The first pics shows algae that let go. Otherwise, it looks like weak lighting; it's not the yellow-rubbery growth of low-iron or low flow.

Up to 20 hours, or, increase wattage.

Thanks for the reply.

A week ago, when I was at 17 hours, I had the yellow-rubbery growth. Same as I had when I had the larger screen. The only way I got the green was to cut it to 15 hours and started dosing the iron. So not sure about the 20 hours.

I am running CFL, Osram Dulux L 36W/830 warm white 3000K, 2900 lm 2G11. When I ordered them I thought I was getting Sylvania, I complained to the vendor they said they were the same thing, I have my doubts. This set of bulbs were installed on 12/2.

I am seriously considering going LED.

I will keep checking it during the week at 14 and see what I have on at the 7 day mark. I'll take more pictures and post them and then we can see where I need to go.

Thanks

Kent

Here is 14 hours, still dosing 3ml of iron solutions. the algae had a lot better growth. not as slimy. it was really attached to the screen a lot better. quite a bit of growth in the water. I am running about 1" of water in the bottom of the scrubber.

I think I am going to cut the iron dosing, leave it a 14 hours and see what happens. I am afraid if I go to 20, it will really burn it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kent

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg‎
Views:	391
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg‎
Views:	360
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1683  

Administrator
    Well it's not near burning at all, so do up the hours.

ok I will give it a tray

Thanks

This is 17 hours, still dosing FE 3ml per day. The center was brown and the top and bottom green, both sides. At this point I clean the area at the top, and the slot and put it back in, with the rest of the screen uncleaned.

What is your suggestion from this point?
    Hear are my alternatives and any combo of them
    Clean screen completely
    Leave and go 7 days
    change length of time up or down
    stop dosing FE.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Kent

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg‎
Views:	413
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg‎
Views:	361
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg‎
Views:	325
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg‎
Views:	317
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1724  

Administrator
    Now it's burning. Looks almost the light never turns off. Flow is very uneven too. If you could spread the light out, and may be the flow too, it might work.

the light is pretty will spread out. As you can tell it is the strongest in the center with the top 3/4" and bottom 1 1/2" receiving the least. of course the bottom 3/4 to 1" are submersed. I may try to spread the reflectors our a little and give those areas a little more lite. Flow: the green streak on the left is away from the input, It is also going down from the left side of the strap that is holding the screen to the tube. there is another strap on the right side in about an inch.
    The screen is centered in on the 15" tube. with about 4" of tube, slot blocked with tape, 6" of screen, and then 4" to the blocked end.
    I think I will cut the time to 16 hours, keep dosing FE, and leave the screen without cleaning and see if it might green up, unless you can think another strategy.

As I said before, my tank is probably healthier then every. Pods all over the place, worms, feather dusters all over the rocks, micro stars are covering the rocks and on the glass. Just need to get rid of the HA in the tank. I think I might also cut my display lights an hour.

thanks for all your help on this.

kent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information