+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling

Banned
    Ah, I see. Looking as his screen again I can see what you're talking about - the low growth int he area that is submerged. The alternative would be to add a second drain. I just trimmed the bottom 1/2" off my screen the other day. it was just growing red turf. That stuff seems to grow well in the lower light areas of the screen, like at the corners and side edges. I trimmed the edges off my screen (3" actually) and no red anymore. That was just incidental to reducing the screen size to make it right w/r to amount fed.

I agree with Floyd. I wouldn't reduce the flow. I'd put in a second or a bigger drain bulkhead.

Administrator
    Faster flow is more likely to break away the 3d growth.

I haven't seen a problem with algae breaking and escaping, but I have seen problems with low flow and too much light producing weak yellow algae.

Struggles continue... very frustrating to say the least.

I've been feeding twice as much, per the recommendation. No water changes; for that matter I've kept the hands out of the tank for the last 2-3 weeks altogether. Cleaned the screen after 12 days. Much heavier growth on the screen, but even heavier in the tank. To the point where I can't see any rocks, or the aquascaping features. Today I got to cleaning some of it, and I pinched off chunks that filled 1 full cup of drained algae in no time.

What am I doing wrong? This is going downhill fast.

If something makes things worse its time to try something opposite. Did you try to reduce feeding for few days and decrease DT lighting ? If things go better - you know direction.
    Just my 1cent

I'm not an expert by any means, but I would think that reducing the light in the DT would reduce the growth of the algae in the DT as it needs light to grow. As long as the scrubber is still running and growing algae, it should boost growth as it will not be competing as much with the alage in the DT. It will take some time, but reduced light in the DT would be my guess. I'd leave the feeding where it's at as the scrubber will need food for growth.

Administrator
    It's not growing on the plastic; it's growing on the coralline on the plastic. Which mean means P is coming out of the calcium carbonate like it's supposed to. Which means it is working.

You don't need to change anything. Feed normal, and in a few months it will look better.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    It's not growing on the plastic; it's growing on the coralline on the plastic. Which mean means P is coming out of the calcium carbonate like it's supposed to. Which means it is working.
    Plastic? Coralline? Which one, where? In the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    You don't need to change anything. Feed normal, and in a few months it will look better.
    I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, though this has been going on since April of last year - so I am 10 months into heavy algae. I haven't changed anything for 10 months hoping it'd go away and it hasn't. Which is why I came here looking for alternatives and to understand what may be going on.

Administrator
    The plastic in the display.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information