+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just picked up a tank on Saturday

Just picked up a tank on Saturday

Just got my feet wet again. Not really. Kept a few freshwater tanks. But got a FOWLR in bad shape with some good stuff. Already planning new verticle ATS. Plan on it being done this weekend. Looking forward to an almost worry free setup. By that I mean not worrying about Ph/Nos/Nit and whatever the other letters mean. No noisy skimmer. Overflowing collection cup. Worrying about what if the power goes out and fills skimmer up then pumping all that crud into display when it comes back on. Nothing but Algae and life growing on a screen keeping the tank clean.

Administrator
    That's pretty much what I do now. Don't really test the water anymore. Both of my pH testers have dead batteries. No waterchanges in 3.5 years (2 years for the 10g fw).

I know that every month or so I should add some baking soda, cal, and str.

Other than that, when I feed more, the scrubber grows more.

How's the tank coming along?

Doing okay. Added some Zoas that are doing well. Got a deal on some Birds nest which one is doing good, one not so good but hanging on and one receding. Got a CUC that's helping. Added some Copepods and Rotifers that are also aiding in the clean up.
    Bought my first store bought rock. $4.99 a lb. It weighed 2.2lbs. Being one that looks at everything in a shop. I stopped at the rock bin. I noticed a fairly large leg coming out of a nice looking rock as well as several small legs. Starfish. I priced their cheapest Star at $14.99. So I figured I'm getting free Starfish or a free rock. To my amazement a couple of days later. There were two large Bristle Stars and tens of babies in it as well as some polyps of something. The little guys have moved through out the tank. Even found a couple in sump.

I just set up my ATO. Going on vacation this week so no worries(God willing) on water level. I figured out that on this tank I lose about a gallon every day and a half depending on weather. Tank is in my garage. Looking for a nice display which hasn't come along yet.

The ATS is running nicely. I switched over to a "Morgan" which shrunk my screen size down to about what it should be with news sizes. That being said. I am starting to get GHA in my tank which makes me think it's now doing its job. So it's coming along nicely. Tests are where they should be. I need to start dosing here soon probably for the corals sake. Sort of dragging my feet because of it being a temporary set up. The fish are healthy and the Yellow Tang is enjoying the algae.

So thats' where I and it is at. Thanks for asking.

Thanks for the update! Sounds like the tank is coming along really well. Excuse my ignorance, but what is CUC? I've only just worked out BTW, LOL and of course WTF!

CUC=Clean Up Crew
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Thanks Kerry, always easy once you see it!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information