+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cycling new tank

Cycling new tank

I have been out of the hobby for a few decades but now that the kids are out of college and on their own I have more money to get back in. I am looking to do a big custom build this summer. Either 8 or 9 ft long, 2 1/2 wide and tall. I want to go skimmerless with an ATS only. I am using the next few months to research everything and make sure this is done right. I have a few questions though. Does an ATS change the way a tank cycles? Is a DSB recommended with an ATS?

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions of a newbie.

Administrator
    Welcome back.

A scrubber will reduce the length of the cycle; you may not measure much of a cycle at all when you test.

You can have a DSB if you like.

Thanks for the reply SantaMonica. I found this forum through your (at least I think it's yours) youtube channel. I was looking at your videos on the blue ribbon eel. Would love to keep one at some point. Would like a few Moorish Idols as well. I must like challenges.

Another question... I am looking at getting the Pukani dry rock from BRS. I have heard great things about it but I have also heard that it leaks phosphates more than any other rock. Most suggest soaking and rinsing over the course of a few weeks. Would this still be necessary as the ATS thrive with high phosphates? Or will I end up with GHA in the display?

Administrator
    If the rock has phosphates, it will growth algae on the rock for a few months. The nuisance algae gets to it before the water can ever get to your scrubber.

The eel is easy now, if you have a pipe.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information