+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New here and new tank

Re: New here and new tank

OK, tnx.

need to look deeper in the net....

And I'll update with pictures of my setup as soon as I'll start building it. (busy with job right now).

Hi folks,

Is there any problem with oversinzing the scrubber ?

Like 4 times more than needed ? (I have to travel quite often for my job)

And I am planning to use a Lumen##c type reflector : plan PDF

I'm not 100% sure that having an oversized scrubber means that you can leave it longer, Santamonica any comments on this?
    There's nothing wrong with building one that has 4 times the area, 4 times the flow and lighting of one that is required for your tank, but not sure it will mean that you can leave it longer than a week between cleans.

Administrator

The proven answer is: No; you can't leave it more than a week, no matter how big. But the experimental answer is: Not sure.

Bigger size/flow/lighting means better filtering, for sure. But the limitation is pods. Pods start gaining ground at 7 days, and really start mowing down the algae at 14 days. At some point, they mow it down as fast as it grows, and thus, your filtering stops. The only question is, how long this takes. 7 days is proven to not be a problem. 14 days is questionable. 21 days is definately a problem. Forget 28 days.

There is a way to do it, but it is complex/expensive, and has never been tested: Build an automated FW rinse, that turns the SW flow off once a day, and flushes the screen with RODI for a few minutes, and then switches back to regular SW flow. This will fix the pods problem entirely. Then, the next limitation you will run into is total algae growth, but that can be spread out (like you said) by increasing the total screen area/flow/lighting. Four times the area will keep the growth 1/4 of the thickness that it would have been, thus keeping the underlying areas from being shaded and dying.

Now that is a product that is ripe for manufacture: An electronically controlled SW + FW valve system, ready to use.

There is a way to do it, but it is complex/expensive, and has never been tested: Build an automated FW rinse, that turns the SW flow off once a day, and flushes the screen with RODI for a few minutes,
    That is easy to build :

I am making my own ATO (AVR controller)), just need to cut the ATS feeding pump and do the top-off on the algae screen.

And I can get a friend to come home and clean the screen once a week or every 2 weeks.

Is there any advantage to have the light coming from the "underside" rather than the "outside" of the screen ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1st
    And I can get a friend to come home and clean the screen once a week or every 2 weeks.
    That's all you need really then maybe every 10 days if you can't get every week when you're not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1st
    Is there any advantage to have the light coming from the "underside" rather than the "outside" of the screen ?
    How do you mean? most ATS are lit from both sides with the screen vertical, unless you're doing a diagonal design? You want as much light as possible, so the closer you can get the lights (and still cover the screen evenly) the better.

The other pod buster would be to have the screen run in the cyclical manner. Have the water flood it then all run off then flood it, etc, etc. The pods would not be able to operate as they are pinned down when no water is there. The screen might be somewhat less effective but if it is large anyway...

How do you mean? most ATS are lit from both sides with the screen vertical, unless you're doing a diagonal design? You want as much light as possible, so the closer you can get the lights (and still cover the screen evenly) the better.
    What I mean is like your light screen :

The light comes from underneath, not from outside , so the algae grows from outside to inside (???)
    That design really puzzles me about the way the algae is growing :mrgreen:

The other pod buster would be to have the screen run in the cyclical manner. Have the water flood it then all run off then flood it, etc, etc. The pods would not be able to operate as they are pinned down when no water is there. The screen might be somewhat less effective but if it is large anyway..
    That is the original ATS design, but what about a cylinder (like a penguin filter) but with algae growing on it ?

This was one of SantaMonica's next gen designs, I think the issue with this was getting enough light in the screen, e.g. with LEDs, and not restricting the light too much. I don't think there's been any successful (in that they grow anywhere near the amount of scrubbers with compact fluorescent bulbs) ATS made with this design yet, am I right SantaMonica?
    The only really well tested design at the moment is with the screen standing vertical and light with several compact fluorescent bulbs either side.

I am wondering if I should stop pumping to the AS during feeding, or if I leave the pump running ?
    As I am planning to stop the circulation pumps (2x6025).......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information