+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: DIY LED Scrubber Lighting Guidelines and Builds

Banned
    Scolley on RC uses some whites and gets good growth

Post # 207 here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2028045

but he uses a mix of NW & CW so there may still be a use for other spectra. But we're talking about maximum efficiency here and I think the end result will probably be that we're splitting hairs when it comes down to it. RB vs. White will probably result in similar growth, but the high Red:Blue ratio needs to remain

Just wondering if anyone knows of a UK based site as easy to use as rapidled.com, i've looked at the 2 UK based sites mentioned on here and they don't seem like they are set up for the likes of me.

Try ebay.co.uk

Have a look on that farnell link i posted on the other page...they do everything u need

Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    May be the best thing about Surexi Modules is that they are made for wet locations. On the other hand being 5wats concentrated in a single spot is not so attractive.
    It is not quite like that. They are designed with a tiny lens integrated on each crystal, 50 degrees. So that the module produces a large and even rectangular spot, with reds and blues properly mixed up. I consider this is yet another advantage of Surexi modules.

Also, they have a solderless design with special $3 molex connectors available, so that wiring up may be easier for those not friendly with a soldering iron and flux.

The bad thing is that few places carry them. The Australian store being one, and Mouser next, I wasn't able to track them elsewhere.

tonight will try to post my settings after a remodeling

regards

At 50 degrees you want to place them at a good distance. 3 inch can be too close for 5 watt. Then your scrubber becomes fat.

I read through this whole post but I was a bit confused on 2 things:

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    LEDs:

Minimum of one 3W 660nm LED (operating at 2W) for every 15-20 square inches of screen. That is an area between roughly 4" x 4" to 4.5" x 4.5". Perhaps a simpler standard would be to say you need one on each side for each cube of food per day, or 12 square inches.
    So you mean you need 1 LED per side for about every 15 square inches? Or just on one side for every 15 square inches? So I guess my question is will a single 3 watt LED cover 30 square inches if you have one on each side?

Also is this info still fairly up to date?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post

The mixture of different colors should definitely be limited to 660 (deep red), 630 (red), 455 (royal blue), and 435 (violet blue). 660 and 435 are the Chlorophyll "A" band, and 660/455 are the "B" band. I recently stumbled upon one possible reason you want to focus on the "A" band: this light band is utilized the most by chlorophyll during midday when sunlight is the most intense, and the "B" spectrum is for when the light levels are lower, like during the morning and evening, when the earth's atmosphere reflects or filters out most of the "A" band. So as it turns out, "B" stands for "Backup" haha.
    You mention 630 red as a desirable color and then never mention it again. Is it one of the chlorophyll bands from research you have run accross? Or should it be used in a ratio with the others?

1.- 12 LEDs total, 6 Per side. 6x 660nm OSRAM, run @ 750mA. Bought from www.rapidled.com. No lenses, 2.5" from screen may be less.

2.- Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver. Bought from www.rapidled.com.

3.- aluminum C channel, 10" long, 2 pieces per side, so 40" of material total. local metal supply company 50$

4.- Screen Size: (10"x 8"). 2 fans over the aluminum. 16 on / 8 off light schedule. but I think for me biological low load I reduce. Flow rate around 600GPH. Feed enough spectrum pellets to equal 1 cubes. Double sided. Clean half every 7 days. good green growth

5.- at first my screen was too big, then reduced it by the advice given to me at this forum, but not put fans depended on the air conditioning, so after I put the fans

First

After

Display

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joelespinoza View Post
    So you mean you need 1 LED per side for about every 15 square inches? Or just on one side for every 15 square inches? So I guess my question is will a single 3 watt LED cover 30 square inches if you have one on each side?
    I would say it's a minimum of 1 3W LED on each side of a 4x4 to 4.5x4.5 screen. If you re-read the part you quoted from me that's what the last part says.

Also is this info still fairly up to date?
    Fairly. I'm currently building one though that has 4 x 3W 660 and 1 x 3W 455 (half power) on each side of a 3x4 screen. It might be overkill.

You mention 630 red as a desirable color and then never mention it again. Is it one of the chlorophyll bands from research you have run accross? Or should it be used in a ratio with the others?
    basic chlorophyll charts. "A" is 660 and 435, "B" is 630 and 455. Not many people build 630 arrays that's why it's not mentioned much after that I guess.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information