+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: DIY LED Scrubber Lighting Guidelines and Builds

Banned
    Do you have a link for the 420nm LED? That is what should really be paired with the 660s according to the chlorophyll curves...

I run the 12000 and 19000K from them (topled ebay), they are listed at 650ma and I run the meanwell 700ma drive for 16 bucks from rapidled with no problems. My next build will be their reds with a meanwell.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Do you have a link for the 420nm LED? That is what should really be paired with the 660s according to the chlorophyll curves...
    RapidLED sells them now... well.. they were in stock over the weekend when I ordered some, but today it seems they are out of stock. The quotes I got from "china" were about double the cost ($9 per LED) but they had dual emitters in them which is the reason they stated for the high cost. Still, the rapidLED light isn't my first choice, just the easiest for me. The rapidLED one states 410nm-420nm, ideally I would want a 420nm-430nm for photosynthesis, but hoping the rapidLED one is closer to the 420nm area than 410nm like with most LEDs. Royal Blue LEDs state 440nm-455nm and most of them are 453-455nm.
    http://www.rapidled.com/violet-uv-3w-led/

Banned
    Ok I did a little digging and here's what I've learned:

SatisLED uses the Epistar die for their 660. The Epistar dies are very high quality, good output (at least, when they came out, they were top of the pack) so these are OK to use.

LEDtoplights said their LEDs could run on 700mA but would last longer on 650mA (duh). I forgot to ask what brand they are, just asked.

FEDY got back to me on prices but I just asked them also what brand LED they use.

Ace I'm with you on the 420nm LEDs. I've been looking at spectral graphs and it seems that there is a little variance here on exactly where the peaks line up. Here's a few examples

These have been posted before on this site

Here's a few others I found just googling around

Some of these appear to put the blue A peak around the 420 point, some are hard to tell and probably not very scientifically accurate. However it seems that the 420-430 LEDs are a little hard to come by.

Banned
    I am also noticing that the trend seems to be that the blue "B" peak and red "A" peak are the larger peaks. Perhaps this is why you see so many stock fixtures coming out that contain 455 and 660 LEDs.

Looking at these curves is also appear that the general consensus on the "B" blue peak is closer to 460nm or 465nm than 455nm.

Banned
    Here are a couple more graphs. Some graphs "appear" to show what your saying, the lower spectrum is closer to 460-465nm, but I have never seen it actually written out saying that, only the graphs appear to show that but they are far from precise. The bottom graph has numbers listed, but how accurate that is is anyones guess.

Here is the "photosynthetic response chart" that shows, at least in whatever example they tested this on, that photosynthesis uses quite a bit more spectrum than just the "4 major peaks". Again, I am always on the quest for "the perfect light", but for the majority that want simple and functional, I still say going with only 660nm will work just fine. This first graph is obviously a very "generalized" graph though, they really smoothed it out and I don't feel it shows a true accurate representation because there are small gaps in areas of blue and red that are not used and they smoothed over those. First graph is just more of a general idea graph just to show, at least in whatever plant they tested it on, that it does utilize a much broader spectrum than just the 4 peaks and surounding areas.

Banned
    More info regarding this...

SatisLED uses the Epistar die for their 660. The Epistar dies are very high quality, good output (at least, when they came out, they were top of the pack) so these are OK to use.

LEDtoplights said their LEDs could run on 700mA but would last longer on 650mA (duh). I forgot to ask what brand they are, just asked.

FEDY got back to me on prices but I just asked them also what brand LED they use.
    FEDY got back to me, their 660nm and 440-450nm LEDs are from Germany (did not name manufacturer) and their 450-455nm is USA - Bridgelux

ledtoplights got back to me and theirs are "from a Taiwan company, don't know the brand". They're the more $ of the 3 anyways.

SatisLED has not gotten back to me on their RBs

Banned
    Update

resonse from SatisLED "Royal blue LED use Epiled dies." EpiLED from what I can tell is in Poland.

Going to place an order with Satis I believe. Might try FEDY at some point too.

Banned
    Talk about fast. I ordered from SatisLED on Monday and they just arrived today.

DHL is the way to go then.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information