+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bigger screen or More watts??

As someone who stressed out over my own filtration WAY too much, I can tell you I overthought things, and I would suggest you just go for it.

DIY is always a matter of comprimises for your application and budget. That being said personally I feel that a longer screen, if convienient, is the best way to go. You can focus your light on a section of the screen and then let the water drain down the screen, even if the lower part is unlit. The screen should always fall all the way down into the water level of whatever it is draining into for peace and quiet, and if you do need more filtration later you can always add light to the currently unlit portion of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by reefdiy View Post
    I have settled on a overflow feed design as I don't feel like/have the money for another pump (I also don't really have the space).
    I went with the overflow method too, and while it would be nice to have more pods in the display I do love the simplicity of it. If you ever do decide to get a bigger/different pump I REALLY like my Quiet One 3000 by Lifeguard, Its quiet, cost me $60 shipped, and pumps around 700GPH. This site has a listing of the Quiet One pumps and flow charts: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...AID=1059621918

There are probably several things I could have done better, and I am sure that what I did is not what others would do, but my filtration works great, I only clean it once a month (if that), a single cheap pump provides my entire tank circulation, and I have nothing but the beautiful sound of a gently flowing water in my room at night, which is a GREAT white noise generator.

PS: Dont mind the cup, its just a vent that occasionally blows out a bit of crud.

Thanks Floyd for the post referral...I think I have read that exact post/guide at least 10 times on this site or other forums but still...thanks

And thanks to SantaMonica and Floyd for all your research and development of the algae scrubber idea in the past couple of years. The standards and guidelines that you have for these units are a very educational and helpful starting point.

I do agree with joelespinoza though, I will focus on water flow, lighting and design/space/affordability while taking screen size into consideration as I am sure a large variation of screen sizes will work for me. It is all about nutrient export and I want it to be efficient but I will just dive in and make something and then as I always do keep adjusting it till it is perfect for my tank.

I am super busy right now but there is a pile of old acrylic cutoffs in my storage room waiting to be designed into some awesome scrubber.
    We will just have to wait and see what I come up with.....(best part of the hobby!). Hopefully I can post pics soon!

Thanks joelespinoza for all your information, encouragement and ideas.

-Ben

Banned
    i just updated it on Sunday, so you need to read it again

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    i just updated it on Sunday, so you need to read it again
    Thanks, I had already read the revision!! Awesome stuff!

-Ben

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information