+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Funny how things change...

Funny how things change...

I have been an active member on a uk based marine forum, and the more i read on here the less I want to read on there. Its mad to think I have been on that forum for nearly 5 years, and its like there brainwashed or something...waterchanges, skimmers, nitrate reators. I have learned more about marine keeping and lighting spectrums, algaes, LEDs, and water conditions in the last month than I ever in 5 years reading the other forum, an for this I salute thee SM an algaescrubber.net. Its like my eyes have been opened to the bigger picture... I do try to advise people on there but it turns into a bit of a witch hunt when I comment about algae scrubbers. Crazy crazy people.
    Rant over
    Steve

Banned
    Give it time. Keep posting what YOU are doing, and how much success YOU are having, and people will come around.

Administrator
    Thanks. The main reason for this is that algae has no marketing budget, and therefore was never able to pay people for marketing, promotion, advertising and posting on those sites. All the other filters/devices (including waterchanges = salt) require users to spend money, which puts money into the marketing budget of those products.

Same goes for the medical community.

I am certain I know the site you are talking about.
    It has a lot of commercial sponsors, all of whom want to make money out of the reefkeeper by selling them nice shiny bits of new equipment and packets of chemicals.
    They don't care if the equipment and the chemicals they sell don't provide there customers with a nice looking display. In fact an incurable hair algae or cyno problem is good news to them, it means sales of more gizmos and snake oil.
    So a free or very cheap alternative system that works is a real threat to them.
    I think that is why Santa Monica came under such virulent attack when he initially posted on there. It is my opinion that the majority of the attackers were either sponsors employees or close associates. I can see not other explanation for such ignorant behaviour.

The payoff in scrubbers is food...I'm putting way more in than before, but I guess that's already an established industry. I guess that leaves additives for more growth, but then that exists also. Also, to both there's inexpensive diy alternatives. Maybe it's time for a new "gimmick" to complement/support scrubbers...how about a zero-maintenance-self-cleaning scrubber

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information