+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nano Circulation Question

Nano Circulation Question

I'm going to be making a 16" x 16" x 18" tall Nano that's 18G. I'm wondering what kind of circulation should I have in the tank for SPS? :-) In the back of the tank there will be a plexi partition, similar to an internal overflow. The difference is, there will a 10" surface overflow in the center of this partition with a surface skimming pipe that will go to the sump. There will also be slotted panels on the right (Red) and left (Blue) that will make up the 6" dif. (3" per side). These slotted panels will be slotted from 3" above the bottom to 1" below the surface. I will have an intake in the internal overflow for the (circulation only 550-600gph) pump that's underneath the tank and will return the water back to the tank from inside this internal overflow. This water will return from behind the internal overflow, then pass through the slotted panel, circulate around the tank and back through the slotted panel. This way water can whirlpool through the tank, back behind and then back to the tank, like a partitioned frag tank. Now i'm building something that can return this water to just the left side, or just the right side, or both sides at the same time. The question is how long should these returns be open for, a few seconds each, a few minutes each and then both, what should I do? Should it be first left (Blue), then right (Red), then both or what? Also above the tank there will be an other return from the sump that will be rated at 400-480gph.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Circ..jpg
Views:	211
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1679
    Last edited by RkClimber; 02-19-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added pic

I added a top and front view of my internal overflow, maybe this will give you a better idea of what I have in mind. Just for info: I used to be in the hobby for 20yrs. I stopped 15yrs ago kids kept giving me problems with the tank and I sold my aquarium maintenance business (I got tired of traveling around so much and cleaning everyone else's tanks). The most fun was setting up new ones. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm not such a newbie. I've just been out of it for so long and things have changed so much I could use a little help please.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Overflow View.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1684

Administrator
    Sounds like you are trying to put the pump on a timer.

It's not a timer. I'm designing a way to switch the waters flow from in this instance left, right, and then both left and right together. Trying to achieve really good water flow. I like designing and building not buying.

Administrator
    You don't need to switch, but if you do then we'll need more info on it first.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information