+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what cree bulb for display lights?

what cree bulb for display lights?

Was looking at the XP-G range and the X-RE range as i know there used in the aqua ray tile units. Thers so many different series of em...any advice?

XP-G are more efficient per watt, and you can run them at higher current, so you can use fewer of them. For the same lumens, they are probably cheaper than the older XR-Es. I have a 72" display light with 126 XR-Es (cool white/royal blue/blue). They work, but put out a fair amount of heat when running close to full. I need 5 fans along the length to keep the fixture cool. I have the parts for a 30 LED unit for a 40 gallon tank, but haven't assembled it yet. For that, I got 10 each of XP-G/XP-E in cool-white/royal blue/blue.

You should look in to new XT-E , XT-B line. Claimed to to be even better bang for the buck ones.

look here http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/C...0szdUnLQ%3d%3d

Ah nice one kotlec will have a gander...

Banned
    I wouldn't consider the XT-E's or XB-D's myself. I would wait until the next iteration of LEDs because the XT-E/XB-D was more of a "proof of concept" LED. Between the different substrate used, odd internal optics, and using "remote phosphors", I don't think I would jump on what I feel is still a "beta" product when there are already known good LEDs out by the same company. As of Feb 8th, just a couple weeks ago, there still was not a lot of info on the XT-E's. The mouser link above seems to be bare LEDs only, so you would have to mount them to stars yourself (which for me, between the cost of the blank star and time involved to mount them they will end up costing more than the XP series today).

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/02/08/c...al-blue-buddy/

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/01/11/cree-xbd-led/

Ace ever thought of changing your name to LED guru?? Thanks for all your help so far. am just compiling a shopping list aswell as drawing up some designs. Would it be ok to run the shopping list past you to see what you think?

From my understanding this is the current best to worst in the CREE lineup: XM-L U2, T6, T5, T3; XP-G; then XP-E.

It seems Royal Blue is only available in the XP-E, so you will probably end up using quite a few for dispaly lighting. I would have ordered XM-Ls for my display light but after messing around with LED patterns, spacing and wiring schematics, cost and trying to balance light quantities, I just went with what Milan over at groupbuyled.com recommended and got these:

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/cree-xt-e...al-white-3-up/

They are a single neutral white XP-G and 2 royal blue XT-Es mounted on a single star, visually they give a look around 14k, and apparently the neutral white light is well appreciated by most corals. When I get them in and all built we shall see how I like them =)

Banned
    Sounds like a good light, although sounds like no dimming of different colors and if one LED burns out your kind of screwed. Neutral whites don't benefit corals any more than cool whites, both have near equal amounts of 455nm light, but IMO neutral lights do look better than cool whites, the slightly warmer color is more pleasing to me when coupled with royal blues and makes some corals look better. Yes, XM-L's are the best, but like you said, they are much trickier to build around.

They get wired independently, so I will be able to dim the 3 seperate channels (2 blues and a white) as far as LEDs burning out... Yea, that would suck, but if worse comes to worse I can just replace the LED chip on the star.

Banned
    ok, that's cool they are wired independently so you can control the color. Ya, you can certainly replace an LED on a star, and something I would do, but that starts to get a little above novice level when it comes to LEDs. Sounds like you could handle it though if it came to that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information