+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: what cree bulb for display lights?

Ill post some pics of my final result here when it is done, but right now the 40 degree optics look fine, they are about 6" above the tank and no visible spotlight effect.

Total LEDs for my 48x12 55 gallon:

14 XP-G Neutral whites

34 XT-E Royal blues

6 Exotic (I think) True Violet LED - 390-430nm (420nm)

6 Exotic (I think) Turquoise - 495nm

6 Exotic (I think) Deep Red - 660nm

So 66 LEDs total, the Crees are all driven at 700mA and the exotic ones are all driven at around 600mA

Banned
    Something about LEDs that I can not stress enough. They are SUPER deceiving to the eye. Having 40 degree optics 6" above the tank sounds very scary to me, as in frying corals. I honestly don't know how you are not getting spotlighting, when I put 40's on mine @ 14" above the water I still got spotlighting, but I have a feeling when it comes to optics, the spread is not accurate (the Cree 40's are very small/tight but other types of 40's from places like LEDgroupbuy seem to look more like 60-80 degree optics). Be very very careful accimating the tank to the new light if you have corals. I say this to everyone, but 90% of the people I tell don't heed my warning and I always hear from those people about a month later how they killed all their corals. It is so hard to get people to understand that even though the LEDs normally "look" (to the human eye) about 1/2 as bright as previous lighting (T5HO or MH) they are actually 2x as strong generally speaking if tested with a PAR meter. Since I am unsure about your tank inhabitants this is more of a general warning to all, not really directed towards you joelespinoza.

I have a couple different brand optics with the same ratings but they are not similar in spot function.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

The LEDs are actually closer to 8" off the water.

I took a couple more pics so you can see the tank from different angles. You can tell the dead spot in the middle where I am missing 2 of the 3 led stars and on the outside where there are no LEDs. So its pretty clear that the LEDs angle is pretty tight. Perhaps the cloudy water is just obscuring the spotlighting effect.

Low and high light areas

[Poor Zoas.. =(

Hi friends Cree bulbs for display lights are very best and also beautiful in looking i lie these display bulbs and i am display these bulbs in front of my shop.You are sharing nice photos joelespinoza.I like your photos theses are all great and get easy to my problem in make a display for my shop i get more experience from your these sharing pictures.Thanks for sharing this photos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information