+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overflow ATS

I came from about the same position you did. I water changed weekly for decades!! For the most part you can make your own and SAVE a TON of money. You can dose Alk and Calcium with Mrs Wages pickling powder (calcium hydroxide), or just Alk with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), or just Calcium with Calcium chloride from the local pool supply, and Magnesium with Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate). The stuff I buy is Strontium (Kent) and Kent Marine Iron & Manganese.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    4 cubes, horizontal, is going to need at least 60 watts.

When I said more wattage I should have stated the amount, my bad, I never looked to get the right amount. Good catch SM!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Hi SM, thanks for the update. Off to the hardware now, going to build a double sided ATS for my sump. Hey I really appreciate your help Kerry on the supplements etc

No problem, there is alway someone here willing to help. I was just loafing at work anyway. I like the two sided!! be sure to read the new sizing thread.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

ok, a quick fix and should do for now. The closet I could get today to 2300k was 3000k, but they are 28watt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	alfoil.jpg‎
Views:	250
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1718   Click image for larger version

Name:	3000k.jpg‎
Views:	230
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1717  

I think you need better reflectors - look for clip on shop lights at a hardware store. Other than that I think you did a nice job with the available space. However, SantaMonica is going to be publishing (I think?) the new scrubber design he is working on in April, which I'm sure is better than the existing methods that we use. So you might want to just stick with this scrubber, plus all of your old filtration until that comes out and then re-evaluate.

Administrator
    More pics would help, but I don't think those lights/reflectors are going to work.

Hi Guys,
    This is only temporary until I get my sump ATS built, going to use this/same screen. It's hard to see because of the size of the photo, but I have enclosed the whole top of the overflow/ATS in aluminum foil. It's getting great light in there. As of this morning I have considerable more algae than yesterday afternoon when I changed the lights over. I havn't mentioned that the screen size is 13.5"x7" which when double sided should be right for my system (of course I will need to get flow and Watts correct too). Feeding on average 4 cube per day.
    Tested for Phosphate yesterday which was a zero reading, but this is of course incorrect because I have good algae growth in the tank and on the scrubber (it was just a simple hobby test kit)
    Nitrate also tested at zero which I think is correct, I have a large DSB. I will try and re-size and send more photo's through. This is hard for me, but I'm not going to clean any algae in the DT, I'm going to let the ATS do it's job.
    Cheers Ben

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information