+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY ATS for 56 gallon column reef tank

DIY ATS for 56 gallon column reef tank

So after much research on this and other sites I finally decided to try a ATS to see about reducing the phosphates and nitrates in the tank while getting the unsightly HA out of the display. Thanks Santa Monica for the advise and info as I decided to try to replicate the SM100 you posted on here. All I have left is some more painting to reduce light loss outside of the ATS, drill the drains and plumb it into the system which I am hoping to have done next weekend. Not happy with the screen though so I am thinking of making another especially since there are now new recommendations to the size of screen needed based on feedings. ATS was water tested overnight and no leaks. Here is what I have so far and would love feedback on this since I am new to ATS and never tried one before.

Banned
    Looks good! How much do you feed?

Administrator
    The screen is really roughed up...

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Looks good! How much do you feed?
    Thanks it is my first Acrylic project. I feed one cube daily. On sundays I feed my corals so that is about 2 cubs on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    The screen is really roughed up...
    Yeah I think I am going to redo it before I get it online. Also I am wondering if it's too big.

Banned
    That's what I was thinking. I feel bad because I keep running across new builds that don't follow the new feeding guidelines. If the design here is loosely based on the SM100, then you're about 10x oversized if you're only going to feed one cube per day. It's one of the reasons I felt the need to revamp the basics summary before the new scrubber came out...

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I feel bad because I keep running across new builds that don't follow the new feeding guidelines. If the design here is loosely based on the SM100, then you're about 10x oversized if you're only going to feed one cube per day. It's one of the reasons I felt the need to revamp the basics summary before the new scrubber came out...
    Yeah I started this before the new recommendations were out so looks like I need a smaller screen and will have to cut a smaller slot for pvc then as well. 12" in total is all I think I need for the screen.

I just put electrical tape over my slot and a few rounds, around the pipe. sealed the slot just fine. That way I can go back to a large screen, if I decide to in the future

Quote Originally Posted by kentth View Post
    I just put electrical tape over my slot and a few rounds, around the pipe. sealed the slot just fine. That way I can go back to a large screen, if I decide to in the future
    that's a good idea as I was thinking of cutting a new pipe. Do you have any problems with the glue of the electrical tape making contact with the water? I worry about chemicals leaching into the water and harming my tank.

Banned
    I would worry about that. Any adhesive should not be in direct contact with the water IMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information