+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Loading ATS

Side Loading ATS

This build was inspired by a design posted on YouTube by SM. I'll try to find the original later and post a link. For now, here is a short clip of my ATS in action (pump shut off).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w94osKXtwow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/w94osKXtwow

The ATS resides in my tanks stand above the sump. The side loading feature allows it to fit and function in the limited space available. In designing it, I first chose the lights and then built the scrubber around them.

I started the build with the tank off of the stand so I could customize it for the best fit. The open top also provided the best access to the stand.

The access to the scrubber soon showed to be a problem. I didn't like the divider between the doors, so I modified the stand.

...before

...after

The fun started with the support beam and the ATS frame built into it.

The center support is removable to make it easier for bulb changes and cleaning the light shield.

The two light fixtures were built as separate components and then later attached to the frame. The back was just glued to the frame but the front was hinged.

The hinges are also made from acrylic so that rust/oxidation will never be a problem. The hinge pins are 3/8" pipe.

Because I’m lazy and like things simple, I decided to make the latch as simple as possible. It opens with a simple press on the latch and self engages when the light is pushed closed.

The reflectors in the lights are just pieces of acrylic mirror that I cut to fit. They lay between the bulbs and the fixtures (they also serve as a layer of protection between the saltwater and the electricity).

…between the bulbs and this stuff

By the way, to make the ATS possible, I had to shorten my sump. It was a 75g tank. I disassembled it, cut down the front panel and then rebuilt it in a frameless style.

And on to the screens…

The screen supports are made from 1 ½” pipe that was halved and then quartered.

The ends are made from two circles of acrylic (made with a hole saw) that had then been cut in half. The end supports (crescent shaped pieces) were cut from a 1 ½” PVC coupling.

The screen supports were then glued together using Weldon 16. The end supports (crescent shaped pieces) were taped on temporarily to help keep the shape.

And here’s a final picture of the scrubber when I was testing the lights.

The scrubber has been in operation since August 2011 and has kept the tank totally free of algae. The scrubber is actually larger than what my bio-load really needs, but the tank has lots of growing to do. : )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information