+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In-sump algae scrubber with higher flow rate than sump

In-sump algae scrubber with higher flow rate than sump

Hi,

In my tank, the sump is right next to the DT. There is only 2 inches of difference in water levels between the tanks so running a scrubber directly from the overflow is not possible. So I am using a 160 (tested) GPH scrubber designed for 2 cubes of food (4 wide x 6 high ", lit on each side with 2700k 13w). However, the whole point of adding a sump was initially just to have a place to add top up water and as a fuge, to keep the DT level constant and provide surface scum skimming by overflow. So the flow between the DT and sump is only around 100 GPH. The tank is a 40 breeder and the sump is a 10 gallon tank.

The 160 scrubber GPH just recirculates water inside the 10 gallon tank. It needed more flow anyway so I decided not to plumb the scrubber back into the display. What is the effect of this kind of re circulation on filtering performance? What if I only had 10 gph to the sump and 160 gph circulating the sump?

Administrator
    Doesn't make much difference; a scrubber only removes a little of the nutrients at one time.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information