+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Scrubber

Yep. Aware of that and that is why the DI stage will be here soon.

It's weird though. The test kits I have cannot detect any nitrates or phosphates in my straight well water or my RO water. I know my TDS is around 35 - 55 so that has to be something.

According to the new guidelines, my screen is way too big!

I only have 3 fish (mature pair of Clowns and Cave Goby) and feed about 1/4 of a cube per day. Am I not feeding these guys enough food?

Administrator
    You can try feeding more.

Cleaned the screen. Don't have time to downsize until this weekend. It's doing a great job. Most of the cyano in my tank is gone! This after only 7 days of operation? Awesome!

I plan on using the downsized screen in a 20 long sump and refugium vs the Tub.

In the meantime, I see this at the bottom of the tub.

Should I clean that stuff up every time I clean the screen? If I have to do that, It might be a lot more difficult or even impossible to do once I go with the sump/refugium.

I suppose I could vacuum it and make it part of the water change ritual.

Banned
    If you want. I leave it. Actually my sump has such high flow it hardly accumulates. You could just blow it back into the return pump. Detritus has a benefit in the tank (there was a thread about it on here that got started recently)

Administrator
    Leave it.

Thanks!

Screen is clean but has some green coloring but very little to no hga on it after the cleaning. I tried to leave 10% but I might have been a little "aggressive" on the cleaning.

DT water is a little "cloudy". Is that normal? Will it clear up in a day or so?

3rd Cleaning today.

Here are both sides.

The back of the DT is much better. No long strands of GHA on it at all! A couple of large patches with all these little pods just munching away on it.

Also a lot of bubbles on a section of it.

Water parameters are absolutely perfect and I have not done a water change since a week before I installed the scrubber. I am going on a month with no water changes! Just top offs.

I know I need to downsize it as I am only feeding 1/2 cube per day. But, it seems to be working very well!

Banned
    Looking great! That's some nice thick growth. I would leave it alone size wise until you start to get a decline in green and a shift over to the gooey yellow/carmel colored stuff. Until that point, the scrubber is pulling out all the junk that has built up over time and how long that takes depends on your tank.

BTW that bubbly stuff is dinoflagellates. I'd suck them out and watch your pH, and keep an eye on the rest of the tank to make sure you don't get a huge bloom of them. I had those with my top-of-tank setup, I blame that on constant light bleeding into the tank from the scrubber which was not well blocked.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information