+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2800K LED

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your progress and results. I haven't tried that exact combo of LEDs yet, but that is the combo I would go with myself for the next LED scrubber I make, so I have a lot of faith that it will work fantastic.

Side note: I am finding 420nm light is being SUPER beneficial on my display tank. I installed LEDs a couple years ago (before 3w 420nm LEDs were invented), kept my 4x T5HO 420nm Actinic bulbs in the canopy, never turned them on once I installed LEDs. Some reason a few weeks ago I got a bug in me to turn the timer back on and WOW, in just over a week my corals have colored up brighter than I have ever seen, every color on them is so vivid (not talking that nice Actinic glow, they look great even with the actinics turned off). I am not 100% sure on how it will effect algae, I certainly don't see any algae growing in the display since turning them on, but 420nm is a great spectrum for photosynthesis (as is 455nm/Royal Blue) so I do think it will work good on an ATS as well.
    Ace, do you happen to have a pick of your display tank with the 420's on? I am going to start building my led fixture in the very near future. I have part of it started actually. I'll be using c channel rails to hold the LEDs. For 420 I have 2 t12 420 super actinic bulbs on there already. I'm just wondering what the difference in color will be. I was going to do 420 LEDs but I'm not happy with what is out there now.

Banned

If your asking for a picture of the display with and without them on, unfortunately my camera is so old there is no way it would be able to pick up the subtle difference, but there is more "pop" with the actinics on and I feel it provides a valuable spectrum for photosynthesis, which means happy corals.

Thanks for the pic. I was hoping for a fts but that works. I'm looking forward to getting the new fixture up and running. A past TOTM winner once told me the most beneficial spectrum for corals is 420

Banned
    Nope, 455. I've got a hydroponics guy I worked with on some scrubber fixtures and his company is building a fixture for reefbuilders or something like that, they did a few experiments and Royal Blues blew everything else out of the water. Anything else is just for our eyes is what he told me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information