+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: upgrade to LEDs

You can't see it in the shots, but there is a perspex shield protecting the LED's. Again bad photo, but screen is larger than LED unit.

Banned
    ok, sounds good.. what's up with the 2"x3" photos? Did you pick "avatar size" LOL.

Ha Ha, my computer has a special feature to edit all build faults. It does this by shrinking the shot LOL!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2586.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1856Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1857Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2592.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1858Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2597.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1859
    Hi Guys,
    I now have a my scrubber set up with LED's both sides. Growth this week was twice as much on previous cleans. I did let it grow out to 10 days instead of 7 (thanks Kerry). Water is all measuring 0 for N & P. Expecting big things in the next 7 - 10 days.

Cheers Ben

Banned
    Looks good... but looks like it could be pretty loud with the water dropping off the bottom of the screen. Why not just make the screen go down to the water level, even if the LEDs won't cover the bottom part completely?

Good question Ace! I have used an old QT glass tank for the scrubber box. There will be a better version, but I thought I would wait to see what SM has in store for us before improving this. See attached photo of my glass cutting efforts (they make it look so easy on youtube) I did get the hang of the diamond hole saw though!Noise hasn't been a problem either (yeah). I would like to build next scrubber with double screen or I may cut this screen up the middle.

Cheers BenClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2516.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1860

I hate it when that happens!!! I have done that to a new tank!!! Glad the longer growth period did better for you.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Tested my water today and came out with both 0 for N & P. Coraline algae is really starting to take off, it looks like miniature plating Monti's! I cheated today and did a 30% water change and vacuumed out detritus (not sure why? old habits I guess). Anyway a bit of a milestone for me today, I have switched off my skimmer!

I'm really enjoying concentrating on feeding corals and fish, instead of wondering if this (my food) will pollute the tank. All my fish are looking full and healthy and my corals are growing. I can now tell my fish were hungry and my corals were starving!

I'm going to have to get up to speed pretty quickly with my CAL, MAG etc. I was relieing on my weekly water changes to keep everything in check. I'll keep you up dated on the tank, now the skimmer has gone. I know this is the right thing to do, but it goes against the last 8yrs of reef keeping (Berlin method) that has been drummed into me.

Cheers Ben

Those need to be dosed pretty regular or they get away from you in a hurry!! Congrats on the skimmer shut down.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Gratz on the change spread the word you'll love ur scrubber.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information