+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fish only tank

fish only tank

I have a 4x4x2 tank. I run a ats sm100 copy which has looked after my n and p export very well. I dont really get great green, but water tests really good consitantly... I have been thinking of plugging in an old external cansiter filter to help with the detruis in the tank... now, why take out the food you say.. well i have decided to just fill this tank with fish, no corals and currently only has a about 30kg of live rock in it. I know i still have alot of organisms/ feeders in my tank my main goal is to try to clear the water up a bit.i have 20 odd fish that I want to populate this tank.... I guess what im asking, is my method of filtration helping or hindering the health of my tank. I run some carbon about once a month for a day.....is ther anything else I can do.....is it worth skimming to help with detrius/excess food in the tank not eating by the the fish....

your thoughts would be appreciated....

mick

A canister would be fine if you do not have any coral, you could also run a skimmer if you wanted as well. Are you feeding to your screen size? If not you could cut it down and you would get better green.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    A skimmer would probably work best, since it pulls the particles out. A cannister just allows the particles to rot, so although a canister does remove the particles, it adds to the nutrients.

A natural approach, however, is to have enough CUC to break apart all the particles and consume them. The CUC need to be able to get to all the particles, of course. Also it depends on what you mean by "clear the water up".

Thanks,,,, I think the screen will green up as i add fish and inturn food....... I agree SM, I had a great CUC and need to restock it... I think I have a pesty crab who is feeding on my snails. I will be rescaping soon and should be able to get him out.... i spotted a crab in thier a few weeks ago, he wud of stretched as long as the palm of my hand! I also have a harlequin tusk who likes to devoure my shrimps......so should I go over sized with the skimming?
    By cleaning the water up abit I was refering to the slight tinge of green.... it is getting better but there were a few weeks that i was slack cleaning my screen. I have run a bit of carbon a few times but cant seem to clear it up..... I agree as a reef the colour does look appealing and more natural but with fish only I am hoping for a bit more 'pop' from the colour of my fish...does that make sense....

Administrator
    Ah the green... that's natural phytoplankton growth that feeds copepods and some corals. You see it mostly at night with actinics when looking through the long end of the tank. If you see it during the day then it might be algae breaking loose, which would be a screen that is not rough enough.

A skimmer should remove it, but I don't have any skimmer recommendations.

thanks mate. yeah my pods are nuts, hundreds of them, and their getting big...... do fish eat them? my live rock has heaps of life, feather dusters, tube worms, bristle stars etc. I dont even have much light over the tank at the moment,. My 8x 39w t5 shorted from salt creep and died. Only have a 2 x 24w t5 over the whole tank. So, is a skimmer or a canister filter (sponge) more effective at removing solid material from the water column??

Administrator
    Fish love pods. A lot of the life will go away however if you put in a skimmer or canister, especially a skimmer.

YEah I understand that... I think I will see how my screen copes with the extra food and if I can keep n and p down before adding anymore filtration...... I havnt done a water change in around 8 months, should I be adding anything to my tank, ie trace elements.. etc... Do the normal alk, cal requirements apply to my situation,,,,,,
    thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information