+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 65K, 10K, 14K or 456nm for ATS?

Administrator
    Halogens don't work at all, they have a strong blue component.

Banned
    Tubes, Bulbs, LEDs, they all use phosphors that excite when electricity is run through them to emit light. The only major difference I know of is LEDs do not contain Mercury. Newer LEDs like the XB-D's are actually closer to T5s now because they use a substrate phosphor along with a remote phosphor, like the white coating on T5s are a substrate phosphor along with the gas inside the bulb (remote phosphor), when both are exited together they create a certain type of light. You can achieve cheaper prices by using that method because 2 different more commonly available metals combined can emit the same light as a more expensive single material, which is one of the factors in why the new LEDs cost about 1/2 of what last years LEDs cost to produce.

Here is a Wiki link that shows what elements are used in LEDs to create different wavelengths.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

I really like the LED's!! After switching my scrubbers and Display to LED I do not ever consider switching back. I know for sure I will never have anything but LED's on my displays after having switch to them.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    I know for sure I will never have anything but LED's on my displays after having switch to them.
    To me, LEDs are just a "stepping stone" and in no way what I would consider the best type of lighting. They are better than the old alternatives (MH/T5HO) but when put up against something like a sheet of OLED paper, sorry, LEDs look like incandecent bulbs in comparison. I said this 15 years ago to my fish geek friends and I still believe it today, someday soon we will just hang a sheet of "e-paper" above our tanks and it will mimic the sky, like having a vitrual skylight over your tank that you have 100% control over. Today OLEDs still don't have the intensity we require, but the technology seems to be progressing rapidly and they are doubling the intensity about every 6 months now.

That is true, the organic stuff is getting much better. They even have displays now!!!! For the time being I guess we will have to live with what we got, which is far better then the old T5 and MH's for sure. Also, have you been fallowing the organic microprocessor? The are flexible and super thin and can be made into a display, touch sensors, and much more. Its not exactly busting at the seems with innovative stuff yet but, it will surely help lead the way to better or some other technology. Image if you had a flexible processor you could put into a wallet or flexible key fob to control simple things that now require a laptop or phone. Maybe one day the phone processor or will not have to be housed in a hard case. They are still only able to do stuff that the late 70's and early 80's chip did but its still pretty interesting technology. Here is a link I found with just a tid-bit of info. http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...essor-unveiled
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information