+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65K, 10K, 14K or 456nm for ATS?

65K, 10K, 14K or 456nm for ATS?

i'm working on a small project and am going to be using a prebuilt LED unit that is offered in the following:

65K, 10K, 14K or 456nm

which one would be best out of those options?

thx

Hi joshik,
    I'm currently working on my LED scrubber, from the advise I have been given you would be best off with 456nm. But better still would 660nm

456 is blue and has not much power to grow algae( If any at all) .
    Red is what you need. 660 or 630nm.

Quote Originally Posted by joshik View Post
    i'm working on a small project and am going to be using a prebuilt LED unit that is offered in the following:

65K, 10K, 14K or 456nm

thx
    The correct answer is none of them. However if you HAD to go with one of those 10k is the only one that might work and thats just because its full spectrum.

Banned
    Actually, the 6500k would be a much better choice than 10k (6500k is "full spectrum", same spectrum the sun puts out), but that is like saying which apple is the better apple when your actually wanting an orange.

The problem is you're looking at "display lighting" with that selection of LEDs, what you want to look for is "grow lights" for growing plants which usually consists of only blue and red LEDs.

thanks everyone for your responses!

yeh, i figured that red is the best way to go... thats what ive been seeing while searching on this forum.

i understand that 660nm is the BEST way to go, but that doesnt mean 65K wouldnt work... Everyone is using CFLs that are full spectrum and getting great growth.

I wish the company i am buying a light from made a light with 660nm. maybe i can swap out the LEDs and put in 660s. :P

thx again everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by joshik View Post

65K, 10K, 14K or 456nm

thx

Yes, if you meant to say 6.5k Kelvin instead of 65k Kelvin, then that would be the best of those (poor) choices.

Banned
    LED spectrum and CFL Kelvin temp are not really comparable because fluorescent tubes use phosphors to shift the UV light generated withing the tube to visible light, thus producing a broader spectrum. LEDs generally do not do this, as they are based off the chemical material properties of the chip used. So to say that 6500K LED is the same as 6500K CFL is wrong. They just look the same to us. Calling an LED 6500K is for marketing purposes for architects and engineers and lighting designers trying to switch to LED based lighting while keeping the aesthetics the same. It does not apply to algae.

Hello!

What about clf bulbs and halogen bulbs, are they compareble when it comes to kelvin temp.
    For example bulbs like this:
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Profe...ECO/index.html

jnad

Banned
    I guess I can't say for 100% sure. Also haven't seen anyone use Halogen. They get really hot though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information