+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: scrubber for100 gal reef tank

scrubber for100 gal reef tank

After reading all the posts and threads on here, I decided it was about time to start to build my own scrubber.

I feed my tank between 2 and 3 cubes per day and I am looking at a screen size of 5" x 7" and the lighting will be by 2 x 20W CFL bulbs with reflectors

The main problem I have is the size of the access to the sump which is 8" high but when the scrubber is in the cabinet there is about 12" clearance.
    The pipe will rest on the top of the centre section which is 8" x 3" and the 2 lights can be moved from 2" to 5" from the mesh.
    The flow I will be using will be 670 litres per hour (if my calculations are correct).
    For the drain, I will be drilling 2 holes in the base (1 at each end) and fitting pipes at different heights.

Any comments and critisisms welcome

Dennis

That should be a proficient scrubber, nice build to. I like the adjustable light to screen design. Good luck keep us posted.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    Great reflectors.

You might be able to move the lights a bit closer.

Todays progress. Nothing is yet glued into place. Waiting till it all fits before that.

Cut a 5 1/2" slot in the pipe ready for the mesh and cut 2 'C' rings to hold the mesh in place.

There are 2 pieces of black acrylic, 1 at each end, which act as supports and will also act as drip preventors when they are finally glued into place

The pump shown here is a 2000lph which is way to big so I will be using a 1400 lph pump with the tap controlling the flow.

Sorry it is out of focus. Photography is not my strongest subject.

SM.
    The lights can be moved closer upto 2" from the screen and as far away as 6". The reflector and bulb holder come as a complete set from a Hydroponics firm and the 2 bulbs which are 20W 2700k each also from the same place.

Regards

Dennis

Administrator
    If you can cover the top and bottom of the reflectors, they will be perfect.

I will have a look at that. I cannot see any problem with the bottom of the reflectors but the top will be a problem as the lamp holders are about 2" above the level of the scrubber. But I will work on it.

Dennis

He is talking about putting a reflective surface under and over the bulb to direct more light to the screen.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Todays updates.

I have drilled 2 holes in the bottom to take 25mm drain pipes. These pipes will be at different levels inside the scrubber.

I have fitted a reflective bit to the bottom of where the lights go.

Both lights fitted an working to show the bottom reflectors (hopefully this can be seen)

A prototype top reflector for the lights. Not very happy with the way it looks, but it works. The 2 slots allow the lights to be moved either away from or closer to the mesh.

A piece of 5" x 7 1/2" mesh fitted into the slot. This has been roughed up but not sure whether it is enough.

Before I can fit it onto my sump, I have to re route my sump pump and pipework and the scrubber itself has to sit on 2 of the baffles in the sump.

Hopefully I will be able to wet test it tomorrow or Monday unless someone can tell me something I have missed.

Dennis

Administrator
    I would not raise the drains up.

Finally got it into the cabinet. Not a lot of room, but at least it is in and working.

Not a lot of room to take a decent picture.

I still have to tidy up the light cables (1 1/2 meters to cover 1/2 meter is a bit to long) and also fit a timer. Initally, I will be running the 18 on and 6 off and they are 3" from the screen.

The pump side has also to be sorted as at the moment, the pump is sat on the top of the skimmer pump. I have managed to adjust the flow to 800 lph (the screen is 6x6)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information