+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: now i got real problem

Banned
    DI unit will help a lot.. who knows what nasty stuff is getting introduced via RO water with 8 TDS. Problem with 8 TDS is, you have no idea what that 8 consist of.. is it E.Coli, copper, or something else very serious, or is it something benign like calcium.

Rinsing the food (if it is frozen food) will lower your phosphates some over time because once you rinse it, the food will be much closer to the redfield ratio in terms of Carbon/Nitrate/Phosphate and that means your ATS should be able to consume them.. it is only when you add extra phosphates that exceed the redfield ratio that the tank has no means to control the excess phosphates, which is where GFO comes into play.

I really don't want to recommend feeding less, because we really don't know for sure the root of the problem. Without an accurate phosphate test it is all just a guessing game unfortunately, and a guessing game just going off pictures is not accurate, which is why I am hesitant to say "X is your issue without a doubt and doing Y will solve the issue" because I just don't know with certainty the real issue, but I have enough experience to make some educated guesses for you to consider. All I ask is you just consider what I am saying, but please do not take what I am saying as any type of fact. Weigh out my opinion with as many other opinions as you can get and then put it all together and see what you feel describes what your seeing in person best.

thank you ace

i will solve every thing alone

means i will start stop feeding now and get the di unit

then after 2 weeks i will see what happend

if nothing new

i will plug the new lightining

and wait 2 weeks and see

if nothing new
    iwill add purigen

and if after all nothing happend
    i guess i will drown my self in the tank

do u think 2 weeks for every stage is enough to make changes take place?

Banned
    before doing any of that Id invest in good test kits.. .get a hanna phosphate checker and see what that po4 is really at. then start with the purigen or carbon or gfo to remove whatever is in the water.

Two weeks is not along time if the problem is in the new water IMO. specially if you are only doing 10% changes. You will add good water but you will not be removing whatever is making your sps get brown... and even if the scrubber removes it it will take alot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Just going off your pictures, something about them just speaks to me that it is more of a phosphate issue than a nutrient issue. Call it a gut feeling, but take it with a huge grain of salt. Excess nutrients (DOCs) from my experience don't look exactly like what I am seeing in the pictures.. the second picture is more like a DOC issue (no polyps) but the first picture (which I am assuming that is a Garf Bonzai Acropora) has polyps out, but is browning, and that along with the brown spots on your turbinaria make me think phosphates. From my experience, if a tank has excess nutrients (DOCs) to the point that really affects corals, you usually will have some patches of hair algae within the display as well, no matter how well your filtration is working, and I don't see a spot of hair algae in your display pictures.

Ace- can you explain the difference between DOCS and P04 issue? Are you saying that DOCS will have more nitrate/phostphate combo, rather than high phosphates with low nitrates? I believe I am having a PO4 issue as I have polyp extension but browning corals and cyano with NO hair algae in display.

Administrator
    so if i lower my feeding algea may dies
    No, it will just grow less.

i feed frozen blendar mash and i add vitaimin to it
    Liquid food puts a LOT of nutrients into the water instantly. You need a really powerful scrubber to feed lots of liquid food. Unfortunatey we don't have access to live food, so the amount of liquid food you can feed is determined by how strong your scrubber is.

so should i stop feeding?
    Cut the liquid to 1/4 as much, for two months, and see what happens.

i have regular chiness skimmer
    You are removing a lot of the liquid food that you put in.

chaeto algae in refuge
    This is the important part. If the chaeto was not dead long ago, then your scrubber is not strong enough for how much liquid food you are feeding (even with the skimmer). I would remove the chaeto, and cut the liquid feeding to 1/4 for two months.

my tds reading is 8 ppm
    Certainly not helping, especially if the 8ppm is nitrate or phosphate.

my green hair algae growth is great
    That's good. At least N and P are low, which allow green hair to grow. But the large amount of growth is telling you that a large amount of N and P are being consumed.

I don't see any nuisance algae on the rocks, so P is probably not coming out.

if a tank has excess nutrients (DOCs)
    Nutrients = N and P, not DOCs.

DOCs = Vitamins, amino's, carbs, etc.

i am ordering purigen now and it will be here after 3 weeks
    That will only reduce DOCs (food). It will not reduce nutrients.

I do not think "feeding less" is the answer here
    I do.

I've been feeding liquid food for over 2 or 3 years, and I can change the coral color just by adjusting how much I feed relative to how much I scrub. I can also control polyp extension by how much I feed and how course the feed is. The limitation is always, always, the scrubber(s).

The problem with liquid food is it that the nutrients in it hits the water, and hits the corals, before the nutrients ever get to the scrubber. So coral tissues get very high pulses of nutrients. This causes cyano too, since cyano is pulling N right out of the food. If it were live food, it would be different, but dead liquid food is solid N and P. It's lots of food too, of course.

Rinsing the food (if it is frozen food) will lower your phosphates some over time
    Unfortunately this is a useless proposition when you are feeding liquid food. Although the liquid food feeds coral polyps directly and quickly, it also has hundreds of times more N and P going in at the same time. Orders of magnitude more than "rinsing the food".

Regarding test kits, I don't think they will matter. I don't even test at all any more. Test kits only measure the "standing crop" of nutrients, not the "flowing" amount. When feeding liquids, there is a huge river of N and P flowing directly from the food to the scrubber. And this "amount" can very easily measure zero. But it's a huge amount. And unfortunately, the N and P bump into the corals before getting into the scrubber. So even if you had 10X the scrubbering power, you'd still be limited on how much liquid you could feed. Your chaeto is your test kit. Chaeto is nuisance algae, as far as the scrubber is concerned. If the scrubber cannot remove nutrients before they are used by the chaeto, then the scrubber is not strong enough for how much you are feeding.

Also, feeding slowly, continuously, is the only way to reduce the pulse of nutrients to a constantly-low amount.

Reducing the liquid food will fix the corals. Live liquid food, of course, would solve all of this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kenith View Post
    Ace- can you explain the difference between DOCS and P04 issue? Are you saying that DOCS will have more nitrate/phostphate combo, rather than high phosphates with low nitrates? I believe I am having a PO4 issue as I have polyp extension but browning corals and cyano with NO hair algae in display.
    Sorry, I seemed to have used the 2 terms together by mistake. To me I think nutrients=docs, but if the general line of thought is nutrients=N/P, I will go with that. N/P are elements/compounds to me and are inorganic in nature.

DOCs are dissolved organic compounds (or carbon). Corals absorb DOCs directly through their flesh for nutrients. The normal issue I observe when I see my tanks have excessive DOCs is my SPS coral polyps do not extend at all. I believe this is due to the coral being able to meet all its nutrient needs through DOC absorption and sugars the algae provides it and the coral has no need to extend its polyps to catch food. Just going off countless experiments/experiences with running my tanks without an organic removal method and then with. If I remove a form or controlling organics on my tanks, in about 1 month the polyps on my SPS corals no longer come out, toss in a bag of carbon or purigen, next day the polyps are all out. Seen it too many times now while keeping all other parameters the same for me to think it is just coincidence or any other factor. A DOC related issue happens slowly, could be a week of polyps not quite coming out as much as they did the day before, then a couple weeks with no polyps, and browning of corals usually comes after polyps stop extending (3-4 weeks normally before browning starts to happen).

PO4 issue on the other hand, polyps will be extended, and browning will occur much faster. A colorful coral can "brown out" completely in under a week once the tank reaches continuous excessive phosphate levels, again though, what those levels are differs per coral, but for the most part with anything that is SPS, keeping it between .01-.09 is ideal to be on the safe side.

From your description, it does sound like a PO4 issue.

Banned
    SM, for dosing liquid foods, I agree with everything you said, but I didn't picture him using liquid food. Putting food in a blender usually doesn't make liquid food, ie. it can still be rinsed in a brine shrimp net with RO/DI water to rinse any excess phosphates away (Rod's food is made this way). Also, high quality liquid foods usually do not contain extra phosphates like most frozen cubes of food do, so simply adjusting dosage amounts and particle size will do exactly as you state in regards to coral coloration (and health) and not lead to a build up of excess phosphates.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    SM, for dosing liquid foods, I agree with everything you said, but I didn't picture him using liquid food. Putting food in a blender usually doesn't make liquid food, ie. it can still be rinsed in a brine shrimp net with RO/DI water to rinse any excess phosphates away (Rod's food is made this way). Also, high quality liquid foods usually do not contain extra phosphates like most frozen cubes of food do, so simply adjusting dosage amounts and particle size will do exactly as you state in regards to coral coloration (and health) and not lead to a build up of excess phosphates.
    This is absolutely true in my tank... I stop seing polyp extension after about a week. Then i run a bit of carbon and gfo for two days and PE is back and color is better. Not to mention water clarity as well improves.

Administrator
    Makes sense. Most non-scrubber tanks with high N and P (nutrients), will also have high organics (food), simply because of no export. The high food would normally be welcomed by the corals, but the high nutrients defeat this.

A scrubber-only tank will have high organics (food) like the ocean, and low nutrients. The high organics feed the corals a lot, enough so that they don't need polyps to survive. I think if we could feed enough particles to match the ocean, the polyps would still come out, since that's what they are programmed to do. So it goes right back to being able to feed a lot.

Banned
    That is an interesting take. Polyps not coming out because they have enough food. But then, if the polyps never come out, wouldn't you expect the coral to die?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information