+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My first scrubber!

Thanks SM.

I'll go with 4" wide and 12" length.

I'll sort something out with the lights asap. Given the narrow light area, what is the minimum distance I can position the lights away from the scrubber? I'm considering using 1 CFL each side for now and see how this goes as I've reduced feeding.

Knocking the display lights out for a few days shouls be enough to give me the edge once the scrubber is established.

Administrator
    At the least I'd put one 43 watt utility on each side, although 2 spotlights on each side would be better. You can probably get as close as 3 inches.

Ok, its been a few weeks since I've posted as I've been actively reading and amending my scrubber over this time. I'm now on scrubber build 3 as of this weekend. Prior to this I was on version 2 which was 4" wide x 12" drop with 2 x 45w spiral CFL (1 each side) with approx 12" x 12" wing reflectors.

I was getting brown/red oily algae on this smaller screen so believe my view on what I'm feeding is more than I think! plus I know there is probably an excess of nutrients in the system given the state of my display.

So what have I done. Weel in addition to the scrubber, I've also added a further 10kg or LR which I thimnk now takes me to 65kg in a system of about 550 litres.

Version 3 scrubber is 10" wide and 12" drop (doesn't seem to be any reason to reduce the length at this stage given I've got the room). I've got a newjet 3000 which is providing flow (measured) at around 1600lph. I still have the same lighting set, but due to increased flow, am getting a lot of spray.

I have built 2 clear plastic screens sitting next to the scrubber screen which is appears to be constantly covered in water. Question: will this water impact the quality of the 2700k light getting through to any degree I should be worried about? I've not been successful to date on understanding or building a saran wrap, so if anyone has any instructions for dummies, please post them!

Will get some pics of the new scrubber over the next couple of days but would encourage feedback on 1) clear screens and the quality of light, 2) saran wrap, and also 3) any evidence to suggest an increased flow (above 60lph) is beneficial?

Thanks!

Steve.

Saranwrap-- that's just the most popular US brand name of that plastic film you use to put over food leftovers in the refrigerator. Really any thin plastic film will work. A piece of black plastic garbage bag will work, and will block the light as well and will keep algae from growing up into your slot. That's what I use.

Just cut a piece of garbage bag about 5" x 10". Lay it length-wise along the top of your pipe so that it drapes evenly down each side. It should cover the first inch or so of screen. The pull from the water will keep it down tight and it will stop the spray.

Thanks for that. Just for info, in the UK we generally called it clingfilm!

How does the algae grow then if the saranwrap is between the algae screen and the water...or are we saying its as small as it can be just to cover the slot?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Thanks for that. Just for info, in the UK we generally called it clingfilm!

How does the algae grow then if the saranwrap is between the algae screen and the water...or are we saying its as small as it can be just to cover the slot?
    Once you try it out you will understand. The water flows easily between the plastic and the screen. The plastic wrap just keeps it nice and even while stopping any splashing. It won't cause any problems with growing algae.

Here we go, pictures of the new scrubber. The lamps are 3" from the screen:- they won't go back any further due to size of sump/reflector but hopefully they will be ok.

You should see plastic wrap keeping most of the splashing at bay...genius idea!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040088.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2052

Name:	P4040087.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2053

Ok, below pictures shows growth at 14 days and just before first clean. It was starting to grow small strands of hair algae early on but in the past couple of days it started to go dark.

Name:	P4160155.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2179Click image for larger version

Name:	P4160156.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2180

Thoughts on whether leave as is for now or make any changes?

Banned
    Mines a new screen also and I clean mine after 7 days. Seems that the more often you clean (within reason), the better the algae grows back.

looks pretty normal for a first cleaning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information