+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water changes

Water changes

I have read several of the posts on here where people do not perform water changes. Is that something that follows on from algae scrubbing or is it just general practice in the USA.
    I tried it last year, but got cold feet after a couple of months. I did dose with Tropic Marin remineral as well as keeping up with the calcium, mag and kh.

Dennis

Banned
    The "no water change" thing is done more frequently for ATS users than the general population. I certainly wouldn't call it a "USA" thing, because I think well over 95% of reef owners in the USA do regular water changes. In my area, I am the only one that doesn't do water changes out of over 1000 reefers, and like you, it took a leap of faith to get to that point. For years (almost a decade) I would do weekly 50% water changes. I tried to stop cold turkey a few times but just couldn't take it after a few months (no reason other than some personal issue inside me saying I MUST DO THEM).. but for the past 12 months I have been good and not done any water changes and I have not seen anything negative due to it (as long as I use other means to control organics and phosphates, and dose something to maintain alkalinity and calcium levels).

Do you not dose anything to replace any minerals etc.

Banned
    For trace elements I rely on the large amounts of food I put into my tank each day for that. I believe that is more than enough to cover the trace elements.

For the major elements, I dose Kalkwasser and a little 3 part as needed to maintain a balance.

Think I will give it a try when scrubber is working satisfactoraly

Dennis

It has been over a year now and no water changes. I add salt when the salinity level goes down, and i dose some iron, but other then that, I top off with RO.

Tank is probably better then it has ever been.

Kent

Administrator
    For trace elements, all you have to look at is the oceans, where all the trace elements are supplied by algae. Thus, the food you feed, especially if nori, should be all you need. If you don't feed nori, then maybe adding some iron and iodine might help.

Banned
    That and the fact that most of the trace element supplements are full of junk that artificially skews the ratios way, way out of whack when used long term, especially when compared to the ocean. Just feed good food.

Banned
    Hi, my name is ricky... Ive been clean for over 8 months.. lol

If dosing Cal Chloride and Sodium Bi/Carbonate an occasional water change will be nescessary. Depending of course on you're usage. More frequently if you dose Epsom salt - Mag sulfate.

If using Kalk or Cal reactor, then carry on, nothing to see here.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information