+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 55g scrubber

Banned
    yeah the 50 x 1W array. Haven't looked much at their square fixtures.

I checked the growth today and it has already filled back in well past what it was when I cleaned it out. I am starting to believe. I'd take a pic but like I said before I have it awkwardly set up so that my sump sits behind the center beam of my stand, so you have to crane your head sideways to even see the scrubber. I'll post pics in a week when I clean it.

Exactly the same as me mate with the centre support. If my scrubber works as expected then I propose to build a smaller sump just to fit behind 1 door of the cabinet and run just a scrubber with no skimmer or phos reactor.

Dennis

I took my scrubber out for the weekly cleaning and there wasn't much growth. I noticed the one area I had nice thick green growth was also the area with the most flow. So I took out the dremel and widened the gap along the whole way. When I put it back onto my pump there is probably about double the flow cascading down the screen, so I am hopeful the increased flow will translate into increased growth. On a side note I found out my display algae problem is bryopsis, so I am going to give the Kent Tech M super magnesium method a go for a couple of months to hopefully clean it up.

Administrator
    You don't need the Kent's.

Ah, well I found a good deal on a couple of gallons on Amazon, so it was about the same price as some other brands. Any impact on the scrubber I should be worried about? It is just starting to get going, I'd hate to kill it after all that build up time.

Banned
    You're in for some trouble my friend. Talk to srusso about his problems with bryopsis. A scrubber will not necessarily beat it out SM. Srusso's tank is case in point. He did everything in the book and nothing worked.

I am going to try this 2 month magnesium treatment. If it doesn't work I am going to have to either just rip it out by the handful every week or break the tank down and start over.

Administrator
    His would be the first tank then. In the tanks I have seen where the scrubber was not strong enough to remove the algae, I don't recall any of them saying it was specifically briopsys that remained. And even those tanks were able to defeat the remaining algae when they fixed there scrubbers.

Algae on rocks does just not have the environment to beat out algae on a screen, if the screen is set up properly. If algae stays on the rocks, then by definition the screen is not set up properly.

Banned
    Well talk to him about that, last I talked to him he's still battling it hard. The last ditch effort is to throw out the rock and start over, before that I'd cook the rocks for a few months.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information