+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 55 gallon DIY LED display build (from groupbuyled.com)

I like your thinking Joel. And that you are thinking.

Thanks, I try.

Last night I bought a friends whole livestock from him, he had a small ~20 gallon but had a bunch of stuff in there. I acclimated it last night and then just carefully set it in my display tank. My display is so foggy I cant really see where I am putting stuff right now.

This morning when just my Royal Blue and violet lights came on it looked AMAZING, everything was glowing like crazy, looked a bit like a scene from alice in wonderland under black lighting. I tried to get some pictures of it, however my camera was just not capable to capturing the images. These 2 are as close as I got and they dont do it justice:

Banned
    I hear you.. it sucks that there isn't a camera out there that seems to be able to capture tanks lit with LEDs like we see them in person. It is a night and day difference between what you see and what the picture shows.

Have you stopped feeding your liquid food? IMO a tank should not be cloudy for more than 30 minutes after feeding liquid food, if it is your putting in way to much unless you have a completely NPS (non photosynthetic) tank. I am not a fan of them, but in your case, I would be using filter socks to clean up the water and then remove the sock when it is clear.

I agree on the cloudy-ness.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Have you stopped feeding your liquid food? IMO a tank should not be cloudy for more than 30 minutes after feeding liquid food, if it is your putting in way to much unless you have a completely NPS (non photosynthetic) tank. I am not a fan of them, but in your case, I would be using filter socks to clean up the water and then remove the sock when it is clear.
    Its been about a week since I stopped feeding blended oysters, I setup a aquaclear 70 HOB on it this morning.

I sure do want to see pics when it clears up!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

The last of my LEDs came in today, and my cover, while rough, is almost done. So I hope to finish the light soon.

Sadly the way my tank is setup there is no place for a filter sock. My overflow is my algae filter, there is no seperate pipe. I think that my tank cloudyness is a result of my bare bottom sump. I have lots of cleaners down there, but there is just a buildup of small particles sitting on the bottom of the tank, those end up getting sucked up my pump everytime I bump it. I think I need to put my sump pump in a tray of some kind then put a small layer of sand in the sump, that should allow more bacteria to live down there and to break up the tiny particles.

Banned
    I use a Koralia 3 in each chamber in the sump.. nothing can settle in my sumps, heck, the water barely stays in the chamber with a K3 pump in a 8"x8" box. You could also just put a pump in your tank with a hose going up and into the sock and have it filter in the tank itself. That is IF you have filter socks laying around, if you don't, then it isn't worth the headache of even thinking of going that route, but I would get at least some filter floss in the system somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    I use a Koralia 3 in each chamber in the sump.. nothing can settle in my sumps, heck, the water barely stays in the chamber with a K3 pump in a 8"x8" box. You could also just put a pump in your tank with a hose going up and into the sock and have it filter in the tank itself. That is IF you have filter socks laying around, if you don't, then it isn't worth the headache of even thinking of going that route, but I would get at least some filter floss in the system somewhere.
    Sadly I only have the kinda wide pore aquaclear sponge filters. The only other "filters" I have are these, and they wouldnt do well in salt im afraid:

Freshwater filter 1 (christmas moss):

Freshwater filter 2 (Jacques the vampire shrimp):

Hopefully the aquaclear 70 will clear it up a bit til I think of a more permanent solution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information