+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help and advice for building a LED unit

Even my 4 660 reds to 1 blue 445 seems to work fine.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Algae doesn't have a vegetative part of the cycle as far as I know.
    That makes no sense to me. Vegetative growth is any growth in which the plant is not flowering/producing fruit. Algae is 100% vegetative growth, 0% flowering.

As far as I know, I have never seen anyone, including Santa Monica, try all blues for growing algae. I have seen Melev write in his cheato article that bluer light grew chaeto much better than warmer white light. I think it is something one of us at least needs to try out and see how well it works, if at all, before we blindly say it won't work. Now do I think all blue is the "correct" answer, no, not at all, but I think it would be an interesting experiment to try.

Banned
    Yep I agree, it would be interesting to try it. I just think that comparing the vegetative/flowering cycle to algae isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, I guess I should have put it that way.

W/R to Melev's article on the 5000K vs 3500K lamps, again, not a good comparison either because each manufacturer of lamps could have used a different phosphor combination and there are many other factors to consider, so it was hardly a scientific result. Then if you compare the growth the people were getting when using 5000K or 6500K lamps based on that info from Melev, they got horrible growth, which turned right around when switching to lower kelvin lamps.

Be aware satis led's 18x3 driver is 220 volt and made for European setups. Check the voltages before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
    Getting more confusing now guys. Had made my mind up to go 8:1 but now it looks like it may/should be 7:2.

I have been looking at the Satisled LED's and my order when I get round to doing it will be

1 x driver for 18 x 3w
    4 x heatsinks 240 x 76 ( will need 2 each side )
    14 x 3w red high power LED's (660-670)
    10 x 3w royal blue high power LED's (have to buy 10 as min order no.)

My only question now is, do you wire up + to + etc or + to -

Told you I don't understand electrics.

Dennis

Banned
    Wiring + to + and - to - puts them in parallel, meaning you split the current and thus lower the output. Unless you're planning to run parallel strings and understand exactly what you're doing you do not want to do this.

The voltage drops across the LED from + to -. Diodes (the "D" in LED) only work one way, so the first connection to the + side of the driver module goes to the + on the first LED. Then you connect the - on that one to the + on the next and so on with the last - connected to the - on the driver.

You're going to want to google or youtube search how to solder LEDs etc, pre-tinning pads, pre-tinning wire, attaching LEDs to heat sinks, etc, before you get started. It's not like it's that difficult but a little research will save you a lot of headache.

Banned
    You made that sound more complicated than it really is Floyd (your way does work, just makes it sound more complicated to those who don't have an understanding on how it works). I never put + to + or - to - when doing parallel strings. I simply wire the strings as I normally would, 12 in a row, 2 rows, and then take the +/- wire from the driver and connect 2 wires on the end of each one to split them, then each one goes to the strings. The way you describe will make a "cleaner looking build", no question there, but just requires a little more brain power to get it figured out ahead of time. Parallel strings do add another level of complexity, but really, not much. Just make sure each string is identical and know that when you split a driver to run 2 strings, each string then only gets 1/2 of the current output of the driver. If a driver outputs 1050mA and you run 2 parallel strings, each string will get 525mA.

When doing parallel strings though, you must make sure you use the same LEDs in each string to match the forward voltage. You have to use the same amount of LEDs per string as well as the same vf. Putting a string of 700mA china LEDs in a parallel string with a second string of XP-Gs would not be good to do, but if you mixed in equal amounts of China + XP-G in each string and never went above 700mA, then it would work.

Banned
    I know that but the guy asking for help was asking a pretty basic question when it comes to wiring so I wanted to explain it in a basic manner.

Thats me, very basic. I think you have answered my question. Basically, take 1 wire from the driver to + ve on the 1st LED and then 2nd wire from -ve on 1st LED to +_ve on 2nd LED and so on untill last LED - ve to driver.

I think it would be a lot easier to get someone to do it for me. I have rewird my house in the past, but as I get older, just not as confident especially with electricity and water.

Dennis

Banned
    Don't be afraid, it is really much more intimidating in your head than it is when you attempt to build one. If you wired a house, LEDs are about equal in difficulty. Once you build one and sigh a big breath of relief when they all turn on the first thought most people have is "That was it? That was so easy! Why did I make it out so much harder than it is." It is really as simple as connecting wires + to - on the LEDs. I found hooking up T5HO ballast and MH ballast much more nerve racking (more difficult to figure out the wiring on T5HO and the fact you're playing with high voltage makes me more nervous working around them).

Next BASIC question.

I am fitting a heatsink to each side of the present scrubber and each 1 will be 10" x 7". The heatsink is from heatsinksusa and are finned 2" deep. I will be fitting 9 x 3W LED's to each heatsink and each one will have a seperate driver.

With the heatsinks being in an enclosed space, will it be neccessary to fit a fan to each side?

Dennis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information