+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algae Growing Pictures Diagnosed

Algae Growing Pictures Diagnosed

Is there a thread already here that I'm unable to find, that lists/shows different screens with algae growth (at various stages) with diagnosis done as to why it looks like it does? If not, perhaps this could be the start of one. I think it would be very beneficial to have a series of straight forward pictures that could be glanced through as a reference, for anyone wanting to see what's up with their algae.

I'll start by posting one here of whitish rings in the algae. The screen has been running as the single and only means of filtration on a 250 gallon tank, from the beginning of the tank (approx. 4 months). On the 2nd image, the pod at the top can give a size scale.

Click image for larger version

Name:	algae-white-rings.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1814Click image for larger version

Name:	algae-white-rings-close-up.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1815

Administrator
    Yes those are pods. If you clean within 14 days you should not get them. More importantly, if your growth were greener, it would over grow this.

As for examples, I've been saving pics for this, but they are going to take some time. All time right now is focused on the new scrubber design.

This screen is 6 days of growth. The whitish rings in the algae are new- is the white ring caused by the larger pod (as in the picture) eating the algae, or are they a bloom more or less of baby pods, that I'd need a microscope to see moving around? The only changes made this last week were changing the on time for the lighting on the ATS to 12 hours on, 12 off (up until this week they've been on for 18 off for 6). Running 620-630nm Red LEDs at about 2.5" from the screen, with 1/4" Plexiglas between. I have a whole assortment of images and specs for the lighting and algae growth, but need to do a little more R&D. Overall, I believe the screen size is much too large for the feeding being done, which would most likely cause the lack of thick growth. However, always open for suggestions! Screen area is 2 screens, fed directly from overflow, and are 16" wide, 5" long each. Feeding is roughly 2 frozen cubes daily, and 3-4ml liquid food (various types).

Administrator
    Well the darker growth is certainly too little light per unit area, per unit of nutrient. Going back to 18 hours, and maybe reducing screen area, might get green quicker.

Banned
    Hard to really tell from the picture, but those circles look a lot like flatworms, especially when you can see the large pod in the top part of the second picture. It is probably like SM says and are just small pods eating the algae, but at first glance my first thought was flatworms. Easy enough to tell in person, if you can pull one off, obviously a flatworm, if it is just bare screen with brown algae, obviously pods. Another reason it seems like flatworms is the "white area" in the picture, I don't actually see any screen material, it looks like a solid creature. That would be a huge infestation though, and that part is hard for me to believe (having an infestation of flatworms that bad) so I am leaning towards the pods like SM said.

Banned
    yeah 16x5 double-lit is over 6 cubes/day. I'd cut the screen down. As for flatworms, I've never heard of flatworms on an algae screen. I would think you would have them infesting the tank too

My horizontal is under lit and grows algae like this the first week before it starts to get 3D growth.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information