+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GFO and Skimmers.

GFO and Skimmers.

Do you guys run GFO and a skimmer with your scrubber? Or do you just use Live Rock and a scrubber for filtration?

I would never run a skimmer or GFO, or any other chemical reactor with an ATS. My system has an ATS & a sock filter and it works better than any system I have seen, 6 yrs in the hobby. Only 50% of my overflow water goes through the sock filter, this works best. I bet my system would work fine even if I removed the sock, and I have a full reef with lots of life and fish.

Skimmers remove good and bad bio from the water column. Skimmers cause fluctuations in the water, stability is everything in a marine aquarium. Skimmer pumps heat the water and use electricity, no need. I ran GFO for awhile with my ATS, like 1 year. I pulled it out for 2 reasons. Mainly I had faith that the ATS was working so well (System Stability) that I didn't need carbon. Also some have had evidence of GFO causing lateral line disease in fish.
    The algae is natural filteration, like the ocean. cheers, Bill
    Hooked on the hobby~ 150gal starphire reef tank. AquaticLife T5HO fixture. Koralia wavemaker with 4ea K4's. 30gal sump, Algae Turf Scrubber, No skimmer or reactor

So do you think it would be a good idea to set them on timers and reduce the time they're on over time?

The other thing i was wondering, is what about GAC?

And what kind of water change routine are you doing?

Banned
    I don't use GAC or do PWCs.

You might do the GFO on a timer for a little a day if you are still getting P, I have P because the rocks take out enough N to throw off the ratio (redfield ratio) but it hasn't been causing any big problems.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information