Good day all,
I finally got it done and built my scrubber this weekend. 5x8 screen, with a 23w CFL on each side. I need to get a reflector for the 2nd light fixture, at the moment it is bulb only.
I did the "loop" method introduced by Morgan. The saran wrap was key, without it I had more of a fountain than a waterfall! Thank goodness for that or it would have been a total failure.
I set it up on Saturday night and already have algae starting to grow, so far looks like it might even be the green kind! We shall see though, I won't be dissapointed if something else grows since the guidelines indicate green can take a few weeks to take hold.
Current set up has an insump undersized skimmer which does virtually nothing(my opinion). Despite this skimmer, water changes, ample live rock, attempts with filter socks, siphoning the sand bed, sump bottom etc I cannot control nitrates and phosphates.
N - 40ppm or more. API test kits are not good once you get past 20ppm....orange and orange/red are difficult to distinguish. Could be 60ppm even.
P - .5 !!!! I have traditionally been using Rowaphos in afilter bag which kept it lower(around .25) but I stopped it so I can see the scrubber do it's thing. After all once it gets that high is there really any difference, I can hold out a couple weeks while the scrubber takes hold.
I am very excited to think that in a month or two(amybe less, being conservative) I might finally have N and P under control.
Unfortunately it is almost impossible to get a good picture due to my sump design, this was the best I can do.